Sand filter pool looks green this year..help!

LexHannan

Jul 2, 2023
Maryland
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there! This is my second year owning a home that has an under ground sand filter pool. I back wash it weekly, alternate shock & algae-side every other week (or occasionally shock it an extra time depending on what the test strip reads), add chlorine tablets weekly, brush the sides & use a pool vacuum weekly. This is the first year it’s not extremely clear, and I’m just not sure what to do. I tested the water and it looks pretty okay to me? But I’m completely aware that I still have no idea what I’m doing 🤣 and that I’m in a “fake it til ya make it” situation- so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 2
Good morning and welcome to TFP! :wave: More than likely you have algae and that will require performing a SLAM Process. When you review that article you'll see it requires a good test kit to maintain the proper (elevated) chlorine level. Test strips are not worth the paper they are printed on. Don't try to do anything based on those results.

Please try to obtain a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit, then post those results back here for assistance. We'll be glad to help. In the meantime, download the PoolMath APP and update it with your pool info. Then go to the section Effects of Adding to find out how much liquid chlorine it takes to increase the FC level by 5 ppm. Add 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day until you receive one of those test kit.

From there we can certainly help. Let us know if you have any questions.

Reactions: LexHannan
Below is some more info on test kits. Be sure to bookmark our Pool Care Basics and take a look at those articles. They are extremely helpful. With a little homework, you'll be a pro at this and we can answer any questions along the way.

Good morning and welcome to TFP! :wave: More than likely you have algae and that will require performing a SLAM Process. When you review that article you'll see it requires a good test kit to maintain the proper (elevated) chlorine level. Test strips are not worth the paper they are printed on. Don't try to do anything based on those results.

Please try to obtain a TF-100 (link in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C test kit, then post those results back here for assistance. We'll be glad to help. In the meantime, download the PoolMath APP and update it with your pool info. Then go to the section Effects of Adding to find out how much liquid chlorine it takes to increase the FC level by 5 ppm. Add 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine each day until you receive one of those test kit.

From there we can certainly help. Let us know if you have any questions.
Thank you so much!!

Reactions: Texas Splash
This forum is the solution to your pool issue. We are more than a forum, you can learn the way to keep your pool looking great and sanitary at a minimum expense (and avoid most trips to the pool store). It may seem quite out of the ordinary at first but thousands will agree it works. It would be beneficial to read these pool school articles: Pool School
and ask any questions that you may have

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.