Sand filter plug, sand...lateral...questions.

MJuric

Aug 19, 2016
Byron, Il
So I took the multi valve off to take a look at the sand levels and do a cleaning. The laterals pulled out.

Not really thinking "Gee how are those going to go back" I continued on cleaning the sand and then realized....well that was stupid all that has to come out anyway.

I then went to drain the water out, took off the cap...nothing. It looks like there is another plug in there but I have zero idea at this point how to make it release. I've included pictures of the plug and filter, it's a Hayward but the model appears to be missing from the tag.

I'm assuming I will need to pull all the sand to get the laterals back in place but while I'm doing this.

1) First what's up with the plug? How do I get it to drain?
2) I doubt this filter has been gone thru thoroughly for years, what should I look for?
a) Bad/Broken laterals?
b) Replace the sand?

The multivalve is only a couple years old so that should be good, just not sure about the inners.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Edit to Add: Looks like I have a Hayward Pro Series. 300lb

Attachments

• 20220514_120038.jpg
    20220514_120038.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220514_121942.jpg
    20220514_121942.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220514_121948.jpg
    20220514_121948.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 3
That is a screen that allows the water out (winterizing?) but keeps the sand in. You can siphon the sand out (large vacuum hose, garden hose keeping the tank full of water and the sand loose), purchase a Sand Vac (very expensive piece of plastic. Works like the point before this), use a shop vac, to the point the filter can be inverted and washed out.

So another question. The down tube was REALLY stuck into the multi-Valve. In my efforts to get it apart the one single screw holding the plastic part onto the bottom of the port broke. I'm not sure what function this screw serves, it sure isn't holding anything in place under any pressure. Am I going to have to buy another valve or can I re-assemble without that screw?

1652567646868.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.