zwats

Sep 8, 2018
ky
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
i was backwashing my sand filter today and it started making loud noise like theres a drill inside the filter and the gauge reading was jumping up and down. works fine in filter mode and rinse. i turned it off and put it back into filter mode. should i leave it in backwash longer?

Last edited:
In backwash mode you're pushing water backwards/upwards through the sand to waste. Does it sound like the noise is at multiport valve or deep in the body of the filter? Can you tell? Might also help to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.

In backwash mode you're pushing water backwards/upwards through the sand to waste. Does it sound like the noise is at multiport valve or deep in the body of the filter? Can you tell? Might also help to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.
it sounds like its more at the top of the filter. it still backwashes but just loud and the guage reading goes all over the place.

Sound like air at the top. Open your air relief valve on top of the filter while you back wash leave it op until only water sprays out.
i tried but nothing. when it was in backwash i put the smallest amount of pressure the handle of the multiport valve and it went to normal, as long as i kept the perfect amount of tension on it.

If it's in the multiport valve, you might consider removing the top of it (those 8 screws). Perhaps something got in there or a piece broke.
took the 8 screws off but didnt see anything (im not sure if i would even know if something broke, nothing was rattling inside so guess nothing was broke). i took a video which could make it easier but it says the file is too big for the server to process

Reactions: Texas Splash
Ok, so the clutch is bad on your multiport then. I call it a clutch it's the spring in it really, or there is something stuck in it. Clear it and or Change out the lid/top of the multiport and your good..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.