Sand Filter is leaking

kchoate71

Feb 26, 2021
Driftwood, Texas
Hello,

Our pool sand filter is leaking about 2 cups of water while in operation for 8 hours a day. It is going to be months before we can get a new filter due to product out of stock. I am collecting water to put back into pool (don't laugh) - Is this a lot of water to loose a day?

You evaporate 10's to 100's of gallons a day. So 2 cups is not significant.

What is significant is what is leaking? A crack in a pressure vessel is very dangerous. Post a picture of what is leaking.

Cost to replace depends on if you are going to do it your self, will you be staying with the same filter or consider changing to a cartridge filter, etc.

The Pentair filters are available:

But you might want to consider replacing it with a Hayward which is also freely available.

You evaporate 10's to 100's of gallons a day. So 2 cups is not significant.

What is significant is what is leaking? A crack in a pressure vessel is very dangerous. Post a picture of what is leaking.

Cost to replace depends on if you are going to do it your self, will you be staying with the same filter or consider changing to a cartridge filter, etc.
You make mention of a pressure vessel being dangerous, I realize any pressure is dangerous but at 15 PSI I have to wonder if a repair would be out of the question because apparently the Hayward sand filter tank is prone to seam failure and of course mine is leaking in the seam....

I realize any pressure is dangerous but at 15 PSI I have to wonder if a repair would be out of the question
Multiply the surface area of the filter times 15. The force will be in the hundreds to thousands of pounds. Catastrophic failure could result in injury or property damage.

At no time is repair of a pressure vessel by other than certified repair shops appropriate.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.