Sand filter in addition to DE filter

morolo

Jun 16, 2018
Reisterstown
I have a 45,000 gal pool with a DE filter. After flocking, I have a lot of debris on the bottom. If I vacuum via DE filter I constantly need to change DE. If I vacuum to waste I lose a ton of water.
Is it feasible to buy a stand alone sand filter only used to vacuum the bottom ? If so, what HP motor would I need to vacuum the bottom as low as 10 feet ?
If anyone knows of a reasonably priced dolly filter, it could be another solution.
thanks
Larry

Last edited:
Floc is not recommended to use in most cases. The question is, why are you using it and why so often? For a one-time use, vacuum to waste and refill the water lost.

Floc​

FLOC is a product often pushed by pool stores that rarely works as advertised. It causes large particles in the water to clump up and fall to the bottom where they must be vacuumed to waste and not allowed to go into the filter system. Many people struggle to remove this product from their pools so best leave it at the store entirely.

My Tiger shark robotic picks up the debris. However it has a small filter area. If I use an above ground cartridge system it would have a much larger filter area and I would not have to clear as often. Also I used a liquid floc. Years ago I used alum which caused quite a mess.

Sorry morolo but you need a wake up call. Flocc is nothing but a Hail Mary cure to an easily avoidable problem. There is a reason why a Hail Mary in any regards is a thing. Because you need divine intervention for it to actually work.

Sure the occasional Touchdown makes the highlight reel and makes us all feel good, but all too many of those prayers go unanswered.

Brush up on the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Ask away and we’d love to help you never need Flocc again.

Reactions: Darin
So let’s circle back to your question. If you filter the flocc, you have to clean the filter/ replace the media. If you vac to waste you loose too much water.

Those will be the same two options with a sand filter. Why would you spend good money to have the exact same problem ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Two years ago I had mud running into my pool. I flocked. I got it out by using a robotic cleaner. I am still using the same filters on my tiger shark. I did not get burned by filtering.
I get this. Believe me I do. I jumped off a bridge once. It was 6 ft tall. Does that mean I can jump off any bridge ? Repeatedly ?

Things can work and still not be the smart play. The more times you try something that the odds aren’t in your favor, the more likely it is that you’ll get burned.

Ok, seems we're at an impasse, so I'll just lay it out.

If you're just looking for help continuing to band-aid a water problem then you're not going to get any help.
If you want to fix the underlying issues with your water and get your pool to a point where you will never need to use floc again, we can help.

Up to you, but advice on jury-rigging a special floc filter system is not what you are going to get here.

Run the vac to waste to your garden. Then you wont feel so bad about the well water. It really is not that much water if you vac quickly. That would be alot cheaper than emessing with another filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.