Sand filter deep clean

TonyN

Jul 6, 2017
South West France
Hi - Having watched the video about deep cleaning the sand filter, I was wondering........

1. What setting to place the multi-valve to? I will be leaving the sand filter in place, connected
2. I'm guessing there will be no need to drain any water from the filter?
3. Will I need to cover the stand pipe?

Thanks in advance!

When you deep clean a sand filter you take the multi-valve off so it does not matter where it is set to. The pump should be turn off as well.

When you deep clean the sand you add water as in using the water to stir the sand up to get all of the yuck up and out.

Use GREAT care to not unseat the stand pipe or you will end up removing all of the sand to reseat it. Ask me how I now :roll: LOL It would not hurt anything to cover the pipe to make sure you don't get any sand down it.

I hope this helps!

As a soon-to-be-owner of a sand filter I've been reading everything I could about deep cleaning but there's one thing I'm not understanding. Instead of pouring water into the top of the filter directly onto the sand, wouldn't it be better to use some kind of fernco to run water down the standpipe, and once the housing fills up, reach in and start moving the sand around. This would ensure water is coming from the laterals, so the direction of fresh water is going where it should be going ... up and out? Kind of a manual-assist backwash, if you will?

Good thinking but that is what the filter does for you when you put it on back wash. What you are doing when you do a deep clean is sticking the hose DOWN in to the sand and moving all all over the filter. I move it up and down all over the whole fitler. I even go as far a stick my hand in (NOT easy as it is a tight fit) and stir up the sand even more. Make sure to go to the sides as well. You will be VERY surprised at how much stuff/junk comes up and out of the filter. BUT like I said use great care to not unseat the pipe. Ask me how I know :roll: I had to take all of my sand out and reseat the pipe.

Kim:kim:

When you deep clean a sand filter you take the multi-valve off so it does not matter where it is set to. The pump should be turn off as well.

When you deep clean the sand you add water as in using the water to stir the sand up to get all of the yuck up and out.

Use GREAT care to not unseat the stand pipe or you will end up removing all of the sand to reseat it. Ask me how I now :roll: LOL It would not hurt anything to cover the pipe to make sure you don't get any sand down it.

I hope this helps!

Quick clarification here. This only applies for those with top mount filters. For those with side mount you do not remove the multiport valve for cleaning, only the top lid. During the time of cleaning it's best set to closed while you perform the activity. GL

Good thinking but that is what the filter does for you when you put it on back wash. What you are doing when you do a deep clean is sticking the hose DOWN in to the sand and moving all all over the filter. I move it up and down all over the whole fitler. I even go as far a stick my hand in (NOT easy as it is a tight fit) and stir up the sand even more. Make sure to go to the sides as well. You will be VERY surprised at how much stuff/junk comes up and out of the filter. BUT like I said use great care to not unseat the pipe. Ask me how I know :roll: I had to take all of my sand out and reseat the pipe.

Not to be pedantic but isn't the stirring and filter media manipulation what gets the 'gunk' out? I'm thinking if you use the standpipe to get the water in and fill the thing, keeping the hose on full blast while you stir and disturb the sand you'll get the same results with maybe less chance of hitting a lateral with the business end of the hose.

I was also thinking about this because I plan to put in a layer of gravel around the bottom, to just over the laterals. Someone pointed out that if I did this I wouldn't be able to deep clean ... but going the water-in-standpipe route you'd be able to do just that. *shrug*

It is like mopping with a mop vs getting down on the floor with a small brush..........both clean. One cleans better because it goes the fine, close up cleaning aka deep cleaning.

Please do it like you are saying and let us know if stuff does come up and out.....then carefully do it my way and see if you get more stuff out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.