Sand during rinse cycle

Splishsplash87

Apr 17, 2024
Arkansas
I recently changed the sand on my hayward S244T filter and now it's putting sand back into pool after backwashing and rinsing. I was very careful with the standpipe and laterals during the change out. I filled the filter about 1/2 full with water prior to adding sand slowly and carefully so I don't think lateral damage is the culprit. I have read a lot about sand in the sightglass during the backwash cycle but I don't see any sand in my sightglass until I switch to rinse.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Sometimes new sand simply needs a longer backwash and rinse to help it settle. Perhaps that's your issue. The other thing is sometimes an owner unknowingly uses a poor quality pool sand that slips through the lateral slots.

Do you recall which brand of pool sand you used?

Thanks for the help! I used HTH sand when I did the change out. I have backwashed and rinsed several times but everytime during the rinse cycle it accumulates in the glass. The only way I am able to prevent it from getting into the pool is to use the waste cycle for about 15sec then shut it down and return to filter with no problems