Morganville, NJ
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey friends

On day 13 of SLAM, and pool is slowly but surely getting clearer. Doesn't look like I will hit my memorial day weekend goal, but hey, maybe fathers day. Still can't see the bottom of even the shallow end, so don't think I want to risk swimming this weekend.

Anyway - I will occasionally "Go-Pro" the bottom just to see how it looks, and I am noticing a lot of sand at the bottom. As I mentioned I can't see from above, so it is hard to hone in while vacuuming, but could this just be residual from the poor condition the pool was in prior, or would there be something possibly wrong with the sand filter? Sand is dispersed throughout the pool and not just under returns. Heaviest appears to be the slope area towards deep end.

We just moved into the home end of March, and the pool was left un-used, uncovered for at least 5 years, so its been a process cleaning the swamp.

Appreciate any help and let me know what, if any pictures are needed.

Thanks!

Rubber-band a hole-less sock or nylon over each return. If they fill up with sand, it's coming from the filter. If they haven't filled up with sand, everything's okay. There could be a few stray grains after backwashing and rinsing, so you'll have to make a judgement call if you find any. Ideally, there will be none, since all the water in the returns should be filtered down to microns.

Rubber-band a hole-less sock or nylon over each return. If they fill up with sand, it's coming from the filter. If they haven't filled up with sand, everything's okay. There could be a few stray grains after backwashing and rinsing, so you'll have to make a judgement call if you find any. Ideally, there will be none, since all the water in the returns should be filtered down to microns.

awesome idea! will give it a go later on!

Hey friends

On day 13 of SLAM, and pool is slowly but surely getting clearer. Doesn't look like I will hit my memorial day weekend goal, but hey, maybe fathers day. Still can't see the bottom of even the shallow end, so don't think I want to risk swimming this weekend.

Anyway - I will occasionally "Go-Pro" the bottom just to see how it looks, and I am noticing a lot of sand at the bottom. As I mentioned I can't see from above, so it is hard to hone in while vacuuming, but could this just be residual from the poor condition the pool was in prior, or would there be something possibly wrong with the sand filter? Sand is dispersed throughout the pool and not just under returns. Heaviest appears to be the slope area towards deep end.

We just moved into the home end of March, and the pool was left un-used, uncovered for at least 5 years, so its been a process cleaning the swamp.

Appreciate any help and let me know what, if any pictures are needed.

Thanks!
Just a thought, I have been dealing with dark debris on my pool bottom that I always thought was sand. We have had a problem the last 2 years with it. After posting question here about it ( and emptying my sand filter twice and examining the laterals, and checking over/lubing spider gasket), it sounds like it’s algae. Your pool might be too cloudy to know, but if you brush it and it clouds, it’s probably not sand. I am still struggling to get rid of it, but based on what I have found our here, I am thinking we’re finally on the right track. Just a thought for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Shruggs85
Just a thought, I have been dealing with dark debris on my pool bottom that I always thought was sand. We have had a problem the last 2 years with it. After posting question here about it ( and emptying my sand filter twice and examining the laterals, and checking over/lubing spider gasket), it sounds like it’s algae. Your pool might be too cloudy to know, but if you brush it and it clouds, it’s probably not sand. I am still struggling to get rid of it, but based on what I have found our here, I am thinking we’re finally on the right track. Just a thought for you. Good luck.

Funny you say that as I was just thinking that now as I looked at some that was on the steps and it is algae not sand. Will keep brushing and vacuuming!

Reactions: Jamie A 14
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.