Saltwater system to chlorine- please advise

Jun 15, 2018
Heartland, TX
We just set up our Intex above ground 12x24x52 ultra frame pool and I used the wrong chart to add the salt to the pool. I added about 100 lbs too much. Now our Saltwater generator is reading too high, of course. So, do I need to empty and refill or can I use only my sand filter pump and switch to chlorine. I'm trying to avoid having to refill 8403 gallons of water. Is it safe to switch to chlorine? Thsnks for all help.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

You only need to replace enough of your high salt water with fresh water to reduce your salt content so the SWCG will work. If you are 25% high, replace 25% of your water with fresh.

Or, you can switch to using liquid chlorine. I assume you already have CYA in your water as you were going to use a SWCG. So just add DAILY the amount of liquid chlorine you need to reach the target FC level based on CYA from [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Use PoolMath to determine how much liquid chlorine that is.

Take care.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave: You don't need to empty your whole pool. Simply exchange some of the water to get your salt level back to where it's needed. Use can use our PoolMath to help you with that. Also make sure to save the Vital Links below in my signature and follow-up by reviewing our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Have a great weekend. :swim:

Have a party this weekend invite all the neighborhood kids over and tell them to go to town splashing water out of the pool. Refill and then test.

If it’s going to rain a lot drain a bit and let the rain refill for you. The only thing that won’t work is evaporation as the salt stays in the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.