Saltwater pool problems

Jun 10, 2017
Aliquippa, PA
I just joined and am looking for a little insight. I have combed over the forum a little to try and find the solution to my issue and i guess maybe I just cant find things. Firstly i have an intex pro frame 14 foot pool. It holds 5k gallons of water. I have the original pump and paper filter. I have the intex saltwater Generator on it for the first time this year. When i first filled i put 120 pounds of salt in the water and boosted it to chlorinate. the trouble I am having now is the error i get is 92 which is too much salt. I guess the reason I am getting this is because after a week of running i got a low salt error, so i added a 40 pound bag and let it go. A week later i got it back again with a low salt and added another bag. After the third time it went off to low salt i looked into the system and my plates were completely covered with calcium. We have very hard water here so i didnt think of it. I cleaned the plates in vinegar and they look like new. The system is not even a month old yet. I put it back together and now getting a high salt error. I proceded to pump about 1k gallons out of the pool and refilled to the spot i like. tonight i am letting the pump run constantly to mix the fresh and salted water to hopefully get rid of that error. Is there anything else I can do to drop the salinity of the water besides pump it out and put in fresh. Thanks

sorry if that was confusing.

Welcome to TFP!

Add your state to your location so we can help you better.

The only way to lower salt level is to drain some. Use bleach to maintain your FC in the meantime so you don't get algae.

The only way to lower salinity is drain some water and replace with fresh water. Leave the unit off any time you are adding salt. You want go be sure all salt is fully mixed in, since high salt levels can damage the unit. Also use bleach to bring the chlorine level up to goal, then turn the unit on. Although it may have enough output to maintain chlorine levels, you should always use liquid bleach to start out, and switch on the chlorinator once everything is balanced.

I highly recommend you spend some time reading Pool School. It's the button at the upper right of this page.

Thanks for the answers. I had my wife pick up a salt and chlorine test kit from pool city. Now to see where my salt is and how much I have to dump.

Edit:

Well i used the test strip and my goal is about 3000ppm of salt. The strip is testing at 5250ppm. this is going to be an adventure.

Edit 2

I used my pump and as per the calculator I dumped 40% of my water and refilling now. Once done I will run my pump all night and take a test in the morning. Hope my troubles are over at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.