Saltwater chlorine generator

Ted2019

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 10, 2019
Lido Beach, NY
Is their a recommended SWCG? I’ve switched from stabilized pucks to LC with great results so a SWCG will make things easier.
Any major things to be aware of in making this switch?
May also upgrade from my single speed pump - is variable a better option vs a two speed pump.

Thanks for any advice!

It all depends upon lots of items and your personal preferences.

I have a SWG rated for a significantly larger pool; I only run my 1hp pump for about 4 hours a day and have my SWG on while the pump runs at about 20% (your SWG will last a lot longer, in theory, if you get an oversized unit for your pool).

I feel that a variable speed pump won't work for my situation (and my pool is open year-round); everything looks great and I'm happy with the filtration at 4 hours a day (my electric rate is fairly cheap). I don't think I would save enough with a VS pump for my situation to make changing my pump worth it.

Your mileage will vary.... :)

PS You will LOVE your SWG! I bought the Crystal Pure from Inyo pools (PL7703 for a 60,000 gallon pool with a 2 year warranty for `$750. They give a discount to TFP members, so be sure to use that!). The rest of the forum can chime in if there are brands to avoid. Note that warranties may vary or be voided if you do the installation yourself on some of the brands....

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.

Was surprised to see on the Chlorine/CYA chart that you need more CYA in a SWCG pool (between 70-80). Assume I can do this by adding a stabilizer or by using a stabilized shock product?

You don't necessarily need more - but more is certainly recommended base on the history of users on the forum and theoretical chemistry Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

You can add stabilizer by any means necessary. From Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool :

CYA – Cyanuric Acid
CYA can be raised with cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms.

Solid/granular cyanuric acid (CYA) should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. Squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.