Salt... week 15

Aug 12, 2018
New Orleans, LA
New to chlorine generation...

I run the pump 6 hours a day
I run the chlorine generator 65% of the time
3000-3200ppm Salt... Free Chlorine stays in the 4-5ppm range
2700-2900ppm Salt... Free Chlorine drops dramatically 1-2ppm range... turning the generator up to 100% of the time will not bring FC up to 4-5ppm

I know the answer is to keep the Salt level up... but, being new to this, I'm curious if this observation is common and what others experience is?

(its a 24,000 gal pool with 40,000 gal generator)

Thanks

dennis

Last edited:
With your numbers you are only adding 1.2ppm of chlorine a day to your pool.

The salinity range is not causing the system to not make enough chlorine for your pool unless the SWG is reading a lower salinity amount than actual and it shuts down the chlorine generation. It can shut down if the unit thinks it is less than 2600.

What could be happening is the CYA level might be a bit lower while the salinity range was on the low side, or the pool is seeing more sun and heat than before.

I would run an OCLT to see if there are some organics causing an increased demand. You need a FAS/DPD chlorine test to do the test. I suggest raising the chlorine level to 10ppm and run the pump over night with the SWG turned off. If the FC stays within 1ppm then you ruled out organics as the cause of the increased chlorine demand.

I suggest raising the chlorine level to 10ppm and run the pump over night with the SWG turned off. If the FC stays within 1ppm then you ruled out organics as the cause of the increased chlorine demand.

OK... this is interesting ... I think the first thing I will do is turn off the generator, obtain the current FC number then approximately 24 hrs later (and before, running the generator) get the FC number and see how much FC is consumed in 24 hrs. Tomorrow (once I figure out how much FC has been consumed) I will run the 10ppm test and see how that goes.

Glad its a 3 day weekend!

Thank You!!!

dennis

I haven't shocked or brushed the pool in 15 weeks... It's absolutely crystal clear.

Here are my current numbers...
FC 4.0... I added some liquid chlorine this morning to bring it up to snuff
pH 7.6
CYA 60 (I've kept it at 50-60 for 12 weeks... started @ 100, it took a few weeks to bring it down through Back- Washing).
TA 80
CH 300

I will run the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight as prescribed

Thank you!

dennis

@BlueMonk... I see you are running an AquaRite as am I... I started to get lazy about the salinity figuring if I had it anywhere in the suggested range that it would be good enough. As you noticed it really works better if you keep it on the high side of the range.. 3200-3300 seems to work best for me.. That combined with the suggested CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.