Salt water system for above ground pool

Mokman

Jun 6, 2020
Montreal
Hello,

I wanted to get a salt system for my above ground pool and the salesman discouraged us by saying it cuts the life of above ground pools by half. So basically it would take it's life down to about 7-10 yrs. He said the salt is so corrosive it would make us have to replace our whole pool (even if we took a resin pool). Our pool cost about 10k so that really made us reconsider. We still got the resin pool and if we do change our minds we could switch. Is it really that bad? I was kind of bummed at the idea...

PS
I think he also said due to our cold winters in Quebec Canada maybe the materials used for our above ground pools to stand up to the weather are more affected by salt compared to other builds but I'm not too sure if he said that. Any Canadians know about this?

Thanks

An above ground pool metal parts will corrode regardless of salt in the pool water. The salinity of the pool is less than your tears. If the pool is constructed of quality materials, it will last longer.

I just put up an AGP and decided to use a SWG. I read all of the same things about corrosion with saltwater. I also noticed that there were many AGPs that didn't have saltwater that still had corrosion problems. So if corrosion is going to happen, I don't think that it matters if you have saltwater or not.

I decided to add additional rust inhibitors to the metal parts of the pool. I noticed that the poles appeared to have no paint on the inside. From the pictures that I saw online, it looked like most of the rust started from the inside of the poles. Water will get in there. I sprayed inside of all the poles with Fluid Film. There are many rust inhibitors that you can choose from. Rust-Oleum probably would have been a better choice. I didn't do anything with the surfaces that were already painted other than inspect them to make sure that there were no scratches.

Reactions: Mokman
An above ground pool metal parts will corrode regardless of salt in the pool water. The salinity of the pool is less than your tears. If the pool is constructed of quality materials, it will last longer.

So then in that case it may be that we couldn't use materials that would last longer with SWG because our winters are too harsh

Balderdash!.. If you guys are way north.. there is more corrosion from the salt that you put on your roads in the winter than the smidgeon that is in your pool water. I like the idea of putting corrosion protection on the inside of the struts. Good idea.
I see no reason why you shouldn't put a SWG on your pool. That salesman doesn't know what he is talking about. I bet if you pressed him on it, his only proof would be hearsay

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.