Salt Water Generator

May 29, 2018
fort smith, ar
Hey ya'll!! We are building another pool and this time it's going to be 20X40 vinyl liner inground. We are using salt water generator with a pentair VSP. I need all info on how to use it?? We came from a chlorine pool with single speed. Any recommendations on test kits? Also, what chemicals will we need? Will we still use bleach? Will it save money and is it easier to maintain?? The chlorine pool was a bit of a pain with the constant testing and bleaching. All input is appreciated!!! Thanks so much in advance!!

Your signature shows you have a K2006. Just be sure you get fresh refills. While ordering those, get the K1766 salinity test from TFTestkits.net.

Depending on your fill water you may need muriatic acid. Do you have the pH, TA, and CH of your fill water?

When you start up the pool, add 70 ppm CYA and set the VS pump at 1500 rpm and be sure that closes the flow switch on the SWCG. Use the PoolMath app to see what pump time and % setting on the SWCG is needed to create 1 ppm FC. Raise your FC to 7 ppm using liquid chlorine and monitor to see if it drops, rises, or is steady. Change your pump run time/%SWCG accordingly to match your FC production to your losses. Once you get dialed in, test 3 times per week. Be sure to monitor your pH. You can also play with the VS rpm as you may be able to run it even lower rpm and continue to produce chlorine.

Just to be sure we are all on the same page, a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, so basically the testing is still the same. The only real difference is that you now need to know the salt level in the pool.. The Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) just uses the saltwater and electricity to create the chlorine your pool will need each day. So, instead of manually adding Liquid Chlorine, the cell does it for you...

You also need to understand that the cell will not work once the water temperature gets below about 55 degrees... In the winter, assuming you do not normally close your pool, you will still need to manually add Liquid Chlorine, but you won't need much in the winter months..

Once you get used to how your pool operates with a SWCG, it is possible to only test once week. I run my FC a little on the high side so that I don't have to worry about it going too low.

If I built another 100 pools they would all be saltwater pools.. It makes pool care almost effortless. Don't get me wrong, you still have to test and ensure your water stays balanced, but the SWCG makes it very easy to do.

Just make sure that any cell that you buy is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. This is important because cells are rated when running at 100% and 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just to be sure we are all on the same page, a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool, so basically the testing is still the same. The only real difference is that you now need to know the salt level in the pool.. The Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) just uses the saltwater and electricity to create the chlorine your pool will need each day. So, instead of manually adding Liquid Chlorine, the cell does it for you...

You also need to understand that the cell will not work once the water temperature gets below about 55 degrees... In the winter, assuming you do not normally close your pool, you will still need to manually add Liquid Chlorine, but you won't need much in the winter months..

Once you get used to how your pool operates with a SWCG, it is possible to only test once week. I run my FC a little on the high side so that I don't have to worry about it going too low.

If I built another 100 pools they would all be saltwater pools.. It makes pool care almost effortless. Don't get me wrong, you still have to test and ensure your water stays balanced, but the SWCG makes it very easy to do.

Just make sure that any cell that you buy is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. This is important because cells are rated when running at 100% and 24/7..

Thanks,

Jim R.
What is a cell? Does it come with the generator? I, literally, have zero knowledge of the SWG.

What is a cell? Does it come with the generator? I, literally, have zero knowledge of the SWG.

M,

A saltwater system is generally made up of two items... a Power Supply, which is normally in a cabinet mounted to a wall near the equipment pad, and a "cell", which is the Chlorine Generator. The cell, or chlorine generator, is installed in the plumbing at the equipment pad, so that the salty pool water can pass through it when the pump is running. As the saltwater passes through the cell, low voltage DC from the power supply is applied to special metal plates inside the cell, which then generate chlorine gas..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.