Apr 12, 2016
Kershaw, South Carolina
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I'm back thinking about a SWG for my tub (450 gal) , trying to see if there is a new greatest one or not,. Saltron mini still near the top of the list? And does anyone have any experience with

Briidea Chlorine Generator ?

There are really only 3 drape over makers-
Solaxx- saltron mini (made in usa)
ControlOmatic- chlormaker do, smarter spa, megachlor do, mega chlor do cd (made in usa)
Briidea- (made in china)
All are available on Amazon for side by side comparison

My guess is that it has an orp sensor, and adjusts output based on what it senses.

I'd go with the cheaper option. Then test FC and adjust output as required.
Yeah, I test FC (and everything else) and adjust to where it needs to be anyway, besides I want to be kept in the loop.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I just bought the Saltron Mini myself. I don't have any meaningful feedback yet, other than yes, it does indeed generate chlorine ;). 299 from Amazon.

Reactions: A.O.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the saltron mini, I have it on a timer so it comes on multiple times per day for the amount of hours it is set for so I get a moderate amount of fc throughout the day instead of all at once if I just set it for 3 hrs for instance. It retains its hour setting if the power goes out & automatically comes on again when power is restored. I’m not sure how the settings work on the manually set chlormaker or if it retains its settings if there’s a power failure & could be set up this way.

So I got the hard part done, had to run electric out to the tub for this. Now I just have to figure out which one to get.
OH, and the bad news, the SWG for my pool just bit the dust.. cost me $900 for a replacement!!!
IMG_8640.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
Is that timer part of the Saltron, or something you plug it into?
The Saltron doesn't really have much built-in timing ability. You tell it hours, and it just runs for that many hours every 24 hours. All at once, at whatever time of day you originally powered it up.

I have plugged mine into a spare smart plug (TP Link Kasa) that I had laying around. So I turned down the number of hours, and then the plug power cycles the Saltron a couple times a day. I put in a scene switch (Aqara zigbee mini switch) near the hot tub, and when I click the button it power cycles the Saltron immediately, to kick off a little extra chlorine love.

I just have mine plugged into a regular ole timer
My problem would be keeping that out of the weather..
Also I like that the Chlormaker runs on 3 hour loops all day, depending on how much you program it to make it runs for a certain amount of time in that 3 hour period, then repeats that in the next 3 hour period and does that continuously instead if making it all in one timespan.
From the manual: Standby Mode (Not Making Chlorine) The ChlorMaker works on a 3-hour cycle. In the first part of the cycle, the ChlorMaker generates chlorine for the time indicated by the power level, and then switches to standby mode for the rest of the 3-hour block. For example, at the default power level of 3, the ChlorMaker will generate chlorine for 15 minutes, standby for 2 hours and 45 minutes, generate for 15 minutes, standby for 2 hours and 45 minutes, etc. To indicate standby mode, the White light will flash every 10 seconds.

That timer is weather proof- there are better ones as well that conceal the plug better. Mine is mounted to the ceiling of my patio so even though it does get some exposure it is mostly protected from sun/rain. The droplets on the ceiling are condensation not from rain.
The saltron mini box itself is weatherproof & has no temp limitations like the ChlorMaker which needs to be kept above a certain temperature I believe.
Here’s my set up - my power is run along the ceiling of my patio. Try to ignore my terrible zip tie job - i just replaced my box & need to add more/ clean it up a bit.
4BCFD498-DF7B-4E1F-85D9-1B300A150C52.jpegFDF78D7F-91F7-4128-9B08-F6F1D887B983.jpeg

So now my problem is salt content, these hot tub units take way less salt than a pool unit, pools (at least mine ) calls for 3600 PPM while the hot tub ones call for 1500-2500 which is no big deal other than I fill my hot tub from my pool. My well water has a very high iron content and the sand filter in my pool is the only thing I have found to remove it! I have an air injection system for my house but it only removes some of the iron, and that little bit plays heck on my hot tub.. filters look like coffee filters and other ugly things. If anyone knows of something to remove the iron, I'D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT!
So debating what I want to do, if these wont work with too much salt I may be done for.

With the saltron mini it states to only dilute if the salt level is over 4000 ppm
“Salt should not be removed from the spa water unless the salinity exceeds 4000 ppm or the salinity of the water is undesirable. The only way to remove salt is by draining the water and adding fresh water.”
My current salt level is just under 4k ppm - my unit is plugging away just fine.

As for the iron problem -

The saltron unit is designed to be outdoors & screwed to the side of your tub right next to that outlet if you wish. Many people are happy with the built in saltron timer. My tub is kinda small (200 gal) so 1 hr isn’t quite enough in a 24hr period but 2 hrs all at once raises my fc a bit high for a while. With a larger tub this may not be an issue at all.
Alternatively, The timer I use for my pool has been in the weather for over 3 years all year round & has had no issues
NSi Industries TORK RHB32R Indoor/Outdoor 15-Amp Plug-in Heavy Duty Mechanical Timer 24-Hour Programming – GREEN & RED Trippers TWO Receptacles Black Cover https://a.co/d/4YbcVof

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.