Salt Water Generator Cells

Jul 27, 2012
I have a Hayward Gold Line Salt Water Generator, 7 years old. 2 years ago my Hayward Cell went out; I was not able to replace it so I went with a generic cell from Salt Pool Store, this cell lasted 1 season 4-6 months and then my display read "hot" even after cleaning the cell. I sent the cell back and they replaced, I hooked that cell up this May and it has worked fine until a week ago and then again my cell reads "hot". My water is not above 140 degrees. Salt Pool Store is not wanting to replace since this was already a replacement cell. Is there a chance there is something wrong with my panel or are these just generic crappy cells. I am really not wanting to buy a Hayward cell as these are now >$800 and these generic cells are about half the cost. Any recommendations on what I should or could do? -Chris

The store you mention has pretty low standing if you google them so no surprise. These guys have been used by me and other people without issues. They have a program to take back an original cell (not generic) and return to you a core fee discount. Check them out.

I have a Hayward Gold Line Salt Water Generator, 7 years old. 2 years ago my Hayward Cell went out; I was not able to replace it so I went with a generic cell from Salt Pool Store, this cell lasted 1 season 4-6 months and then my display read "hot" even after cleaning the cell. I sent the cell back and they replaced, I hooked that cell up this May and it has worked fine until a week ago and then again my cell reads "hot". My water is not above 140 degrees. Salt Pool Store is not wanting to replace since this was already a replacement cell. Is there a chance there is something wrong with my panel or are these just generic crappy cells. I am really not wanting to buy a Hayward cell as these are now >$800 and these generic cells are about half the cost. Any recommendations on what I should or could do? -Chris
What Hayward do you have , Aquarite or AquaTrol? I have the AquaTrol RP and had problems with the Salt Pool Store Platinium T-5 cell. It kept reporting high salt level and shutting down. I preformed the "J-4" jumper hack on the main circuit board of the Trol and the cell is now working normally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.