Jurate1

Apr 22, 2021
Tucson
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all, I am thinking of installing a SWG. I did receive an estimate from a local pool supplier and it was over $5000.... We have a small pool. They are recommending
Pentaiir Easy Touch PSL4w/Screen logic $2100
Pentair Chlorinator IC30 $1587 this seems small only rated for 15,000 gallons?
Blue Riiot Smart water analyzer $650
and a few misc items...and install..

We do have a Pentair filter. The pump is an old single speed.
This seems very expensive.. I believe a non automation system would be cheaper however we do like to travel and having an automated system would be nice.... I can get a few more estimates but is this reasonable?? I know several previous posts had recommend DIY but we are not that skilled to start cutting pipes etc to install. They will not install if they don't sell it.. How can we bring the costs down? Thanks RJ

J,

You do not need an automation system to have a great Saltwater pool.

I would never sell anyone an "lite" version of an EasyTouch. It does not even come with a SWCG..
We do not recommend the IC30, but it is plenty big for your pool. We recommend a cell that is at least 2 x the volume of the pool.
You do not need any kind of "Water Analyzer".

Instead of spending the extra money on automation, I would spend it on a VS pump, which makes much more sense when you have a saltwater pool.

Let's see what our other members have to say.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Post pics of your equipment pad and pool and spa so we can see what you are starting with.

Let’s separate needs from wants. You have a spa. Are you fine continuing to manually switch from POOL to SPA and back when you want yo use the spa?

How do you think this investment will help you when you are traveling?

There are less expensive automation systems but they don’t have POOL/SPA control.

A Pentair iChlor 30 is rated for 30,000 gallons and costs around $1,100 uninstalled. An IntelliChlor is a better, more reliable, system but costs about $500 more.

As Jim said skip the water analyzer and don’t get the Lite version of the EasyTouch.

Get some other quotes but these are around the costs for you to get automation or a SWG.

Reactions: Mdragger88
J,

You could buy a real EasyTouch with included IC40 for $1,900 and an IntelliFlo pump for $1700. For a total of $3,600 plus installation.

The $5,000 price is not all that bad, it is what they propose to supply you for the $5K that sucks.

If I had a Pool with a Spa, I'd want an automation system.. You just don't need an automation system to have a saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for your comments.
We almost never use the Spa so I would say yes, We are fine continuing to manually switch from POOL to SPA and back when you want yo use the spa?

How do you think this investment will help you when you are traveling?
I guess my assumption was that I would get alerts if something is wrong and then I could have someone come and fix it. I don't currently have a pool service... Also my old pump does not have a freeze sensor. I believe the automated systems will turn control the pump as well so system would come on in the event of low temps.

So for those of you who DIY. Since the manufacturers will not honor warantee if self installed you are just out of luck if something happens? I did watch a video on installing a CicuPool Edge 15 and it did look fairly simple. But do you then need an electrician to connect it to my current control panel.

Yes I know we need a new pump. I am just hoping it dies and then I can get my home warantee co to replace....

So for those of you who DIY. Since the manufacturers will not honor warantee if self installed you are just out of luck if something happens?
Pretty much. But. *If* something fails, one something failed. It's still likely cheaper to eat a new SWG than it was to pay markup and install on multiple devices.

You can get a new 3hp VS pump, an IC40 and a large filter for less than the 5k quote if you DIY. Your old plumbing is first timer friendly and you'd only need an electrician to install the SWG power center.

Unfortunately most automation systems give you few if any alerts. The EasyTouch will tell you your pump is running when it is not. There is no alert if your filter PSI is high and needs cleaning. I am not sure what alerts you are expecting.

If you are budget constrained then just get the SWG for around $1,500.

Automation + SWG gets you into the $3,500 range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I just had the same company give me an estimate on a variable speed pump... Is this reasonable?

Pump - Pentair - Intelliflo VSF3 W/O Board​

PUR-10-1076 - INTELLIFLO3 VSF PUMP W/OUT RELAY I/O BOARD
$2,499.99

I don't understand what a relay board is and if needed? This would all connect with recommendations above
$1,900 for EasyTouch with IC40 + $700 for ScreenLogic plus $1,000

J,

You can buy the IntelliFlo3, with the relay board, for just less than $1800.

The relay board can control other things like a Booster pump or a Saltwater system.

You do not need to relay board if you have an automation system.

The IntelliFlo3 can be controlled by an app.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.