Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi Everyone - We are in the process of securing quotes for an in-ground pool build. The lagoon shaped pool we are looking at is 30x18 and 3-5.5' deep giving me a volume of 17213 gallons. The pool builder is quoting an Pentair IntelliChlor IC20. I have seen numerous times on this forum that the SWCG should be twice the pool volume. Should I have the pool builder up it to the IC40? Why does the SWCG need to be twice the size of the volume. Thanks everyone!

Yes for sure go with the 40. SWGs are sized according to volume and running 24x7 at 100% output. This greatly reduces the cell life. You want to run it no more than 50% of the time.

A SWG rated out put is based on running at 100% 24/7. So a 20K cell can provide the chlorine for a 20K pool if your un the pump and SWG 24 hours a day at 100%. You don't want to be locked into running your pump 24/7. And you want to have some excess chlorine capacity in case your water needs it.

With an IC40 you can run your pump 12 hours a day and the cell at 100% or the pump 24 hours a day and the cell at 50%. An IC60 would give you even more flexibility is pump run times and long cell life.

Also it does not hurt one bit to seriously oversize the salt cell. It is just that much less time it needs to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.