salt water conversion

I haven't been onboard, very hard last year. death in the family. Now am the pool girl. I can handle the testing and scrubbing but after swimming in a salt water pool and reading some on it, I would really like to try to get it done. Or, with daughter and son in laws help, do it ourselves. He is an electrician and is the only one that can take the filter apart, so heavy and all. Is that used with the salt pool?
I am in No California at about 2800 ft, so weather is pretty good, just a little bit of snow in winter. Has anyone tried to do this? Or is it not too
expensive ? The pool is pretty old, 1980 or so, had it replastered about 15 years ago, it cleans up pretty good in spring. cool deck needs redoing,
Any advice would certainly be appreciated.
glasgal

G,

It sounds to me like your SIL "electrician" should not have any problems installing a Saltwater system.

The key to a saltwater pool, or any pool, is to have the ability to test the water yourself and understand what is going to happen before you add anything to your pool.

You can do that by reading our Pool School and this article.. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

After reading Pool School you need to be able to understand this chart... FC/CYA Levels

You need to have an accurate test kit... Either the TF-100 (what I have) or the Taylor K-2006C (and yes the 'C' is very important..) Plus a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit.

You need to make sure that any salt system you buy is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool and spa.

Your pump and filter will work fine with any salt system, but you will most likely have to run the pump longer to generate the chlorine you need.

Here is a good comparison site... Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features.

Keep in mind that the big three Pentair, Jandy, and Hayward will often only offer a short warranty unless installed by a "professional".

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.