Salt test question...

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
When I use my drops to do a salt water test I'm wondering if I stop counting as soon as the color changes to something kind of pinkish or do I go ahead and put another drop in and make it go completely brick red? It seems like every time I do the test there comes a point where it changes to a light brick red or pinkish color and then with 1 or 2 more drops it turns dark... Thanks in advance for any advice

It usually “flashes” from milky yellow to brick red then back to milky yellow. As soon as you get to a point where the milky yellow converts to a pinkish red, that’s the end point. Going to full brick red is over-titrating. You might want to use a larger sample volume. I typically use 20mL and so the titrant drops give 100ppm/drop. The transition is easier to see in my opinion.

I add drops until there is no further color change. Then subtract that last drop, that made no change.

I add drops until there is no further color change. Then subtract that last drop, that made no change.

That will tend to over-estimate the chloride ion concentration by 1-2 drops. If the SWG is happy, then it’s not a big deal but you would be reporting a higher salinity than actual.

When I do a salt test with a strip it comes up to 5.6 which is 2480 rpm, When I do the drop test it comes up saying 2800... Either way my salt water generator is not working right now and is reporting low salt , I have recently cleaned my plates off so it's definitely not that... I don't know which test to believe...

Believe the higher one. Add enough salt based on it and see if the SWCG starts generating.

Strips are NOT accurate. Best you could expect from them is +/-400ppm. Your K-1766 is a direct chemical measure of the chloride ions in the water. The only reason it has a +/- 200 ppm/drop tolerance is because it uses a 10mL water sample. If you use a 25mL water sample the tolerance is +/- 80 ppm/drop .

Throw the strips out, they are useless.

I find that when using the K1766 that when I see the sample turn pink, if I wait a couple of seconds it will fade back to milky yellow, then the next drop will always go brick red, just about every time. That is my endpoint. I go slowly with the drops because of that flash to pink.

This is using a speed stir. If you’re manually swirling the endpoint will be much more difficult to determine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.