Salt test issue

ScottJ

Bronze Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Pearl River, Louisiana
I can't get my sample water to turn brown.

I am using a Taylor K-1766 Salt test kit. After adding 40 drops of reactant, the sample will still not turn color.
I took a sample to Leslie's who says my salt level is 3633PPM.
Thinking my test kit is bad, I purchased a new kit which still would not turn from white/yellow to brick brown.

If matters, the water temp is 70F.

Any ideas what may be going on?

I never had this happen. You are using the correct chromate drop, right? Only thing I can suggest is get another test kit or at least fresh reagents.

Scott,

The K-1766 salt test is one of the most reliable and repeatable tests around, so I assume it is you.. :poke:

My guess is that you are using a 25 ml sample when it should be a 10ml sample. The instructions are confusing, look at them again.

Thanks

Jim R.

• Love
Reactions: PoolGate
Scott,

The K-1766 salt test is one of the most reliable and repeatable tests around, so I assume it is you.. :poke:

My guess is that you are using a 25 ml sample when it should be a 10ml sample. The instructions are confusing, look at them again.

Thanks

Jim R.

Ah ok yes I totally agree with this. The instructions are a bit confusing if you have never done the test before. I also used 25ml when I first tried it. Their instructions simply have TMI causing lots of people to do this. The sample size is 10ml.

Their instructions simply have TMI causing lots of people to do this. The sample size is 10ml.
Their vial that comes with the k1766 only has markings to 25ml. So they call it a 25ml vial. The other ones go to 40 and just say 'fill vial'

The brain sees fill 25ml vial and shuts off without seeing the 10ml part and it takes 2.5 times the drops, and the reading is off by as much.

Anyway Scott, there are MANY of us in this club. I am the treasurer. We meet on the 2nd Tues of each month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.