Salt Question

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Once my SLAM is complete, I’ll be turning on my SWG. Somehow, I only have 300 salt (confirmed reading) in the pool from last year. About 1.5 months prior to closing, SWG died and I went LC rest of year. But, at peak summer, I had 3300 or so salt. Not sure how I have 300 - perhaps too many backwashes over the course of the summer.

Anyway, I need about 10 40lb bags. I’m Trying
to prep for that ....been reading on here that the salt for the Water softener is cheaper but just larger crystals. If you go this route, is brushing required to dissolve etc? I have 10 bags worth - so not sure if it’d be worth to get the smaller crystals or if the dissolve rate is the same.

Thanks

First question is how did you test for salt? Please don't just trust the reading from the SWG itself. You don't want to risk adding more salt than necessary, so testing it yourself is really important. The devices get "confused" sometimes and read way off.

Yes you can use water softener salt. Just brush it around till dissolved. Make sure the SWG itself is turned off that day. You don't want to turn it on until the next day and all the salt is dissolved and well mixed in the water.

Maddie :flower:

First question is how did you test for salt? Please don't just trust the reading from the SWG itself. You don't want to risk adding more salt than necessary, so testing it yourself is really important. The devices get "confused" sometimes and read way off.

Yes you can use water softener salt. Just brush it around till dissolved. Make sure the SWG itself is turned off that day. You don't want to turn it on until the next day and all the salt is dissolved and well mixed in the water.

I have neighbor that used a digital reader - are these accurate? It matched what the board was showing.

I am going to be purchasing the K-1766

Ok, good deal as long as they keep it calibrated it should be fine. You sure lost a lot of salt there....whew!

Sometimes the SWG reads one number and the test reads another. I personally only trust my test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I recently did 10 bags of softener salt (Diamond Crystal Solar Water Softener Salt from HD) and it took about about 45 minutes to an hour to dissolve with some aggressive brushing. Arms and back were a bit sore, but beer and Motrin took care of that. Still sore the next day so more beer. Anyways, let the water circulate for about 24 hours before testing.

I recently did 10 bags of softener salt (Diamond Crystal Solar Water Softener Salt from HD) and it took about about 45 minutes to an hour to dissolve with some aggressive brushing. Arms and back were a bit sore, but beer and Motrin took care of that. Still sore the next day so more beer. Anyways, let the water circulate for about 24 hours before testing.

Looks like there’s about a $5 difference between HD’s pool salt and water softener salt. At 10 bags, a savings of $50....

I had high Ch and CYA. I did a 2/3 drain and refill. A few weeks later I drained another 20% to have my tile blasted for calcium deposits.
Yeah, I’m still dumbfounded. I have a vinyl liner so no Calcium concerns. I backwashed and drained occasionally after heavy rains but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary...and certainly not draining 2/3 of the pool. If I can recall last year (first year in the house/pool), I think I only added 5-6 bags of salt over the course of the summer...but it was never as low as 300. admittedly , I didn’t have the salt test kit and was going off of the board reading & pool store reading (digital reader) and always kept it at 2800-3300. I have no idea how I have 300.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.