Salt pool without a SWCG?

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
I have a salt pool with a Pentair IC30. All is well and I’ve been taking care of my pool the TFP way for two years. Everything is perfect and no problems. I have a Taylor test kit to keep me in the know. Thanks for the help here.

Ok, my question..

The other day I was asked by someone with a regular pool if they could just add the appropriate amount of salt and just manually add liquid chlorine without adding a SWG. I said I thought so if the chemistry was balanced for a salt pool but I would check with the knowledgeable folks here. They would rather manually add chlorine then spend the money on a SWG.

What say you?

Charlie,

You are correct.. The SWCG is just another way to add chlorine.. It does not really matter where the chlorine comes from.

That said, it does not make a lot of sense to have a saltwater pool unless you also have a salt cell.. Adding liquid chlorine is a pain compared to using a SWCG.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Many people add salt for the feel. If I don’t end up building this year and we keep the above ground for a season, I will be one of them.

the chemistry is identical if you are manually adding chlorine whether or not they added salt. Use the non SWG side of theFC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Mdragger88
When we upgraded to swg I put salt in first for several days just to be sure my wife would like it. First time my wife got in she not only gave me the OK but also "don't ever go back". Worked fine 'till I got the swg hooked up.

many have gone to salt water pool without the SWG as it feels better.. But recommend once they do it to get a SWG :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.