Salt or Chlorine - newbie questions

etuser

Mar 28, 2020
Houston
Hi - recently inherited a pool that at some point was a salt pool. Had an old Turbo Cell T-15 (from 2006) that I had cutout and bypassed to move to a chlorine pool. The pool is several feet from the house and it seems that the salt air had corroded much of the metal and pipes in proximity to the pool. For that reason, I wanted to move away from salt as to not create more damage to the house and property.

Am I correct to think the chlorine pool will be easier on the metal in an around the pool? I really don’t want to damage the air conditions, doors, locks, grill, etc. if I am incorrect in my thinking, any suggestions if I want to go back to salt on equipment. Have an EasyTouch and all Pentair equipment (except for the salt system).

Thanks.

There is no evidence to support that a "saltwater" pool causes any corrosion in or around the pool at any greater rate than a non-saltwater pool.

Saltwater pools have @ 3ppt of salt. The ocean has 35ppt so they are less than 10% of ocean salinity. In addition, non-saltwater pools typically have 1ppt -2.5ppt of salt already in them since almost everything you add contains some amount of salt. The salt builds up.

Saltwater pools ARE chlorine pools. They simply create their own chlorine as apposed to chlorine being added by some other method on a regular basis.

The humidity around the pool (percentage of evaporated water in the air) will be your culprit, not the salt content of the pool. Many 'chlorine pools' approach 2/3 of salt pool levels over time.

Living in Houston, humidity levels are very high naturally. Does that exacerbate the issue?

Yes humidity will effect anything that is susceptible to water damage. Also realize salt does not evaporate. Any humidity coming off the pool is just water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.