Salt Levels

Dec 9, 2017
Atlanta
My Jandy salt cell was showing low salt yesterday (1,400) and I thought it was a sensor problem. After testing the water myself, I got the same readings. On March 15th, it was 2,200, I added 10 bags of salt and it was testing at 3,800 a few days later. We have had about 6" of rain between when I added the salt and now. I am used to the salt falling over the winter and I add the salt back in the spring but I have never had to add salt again throughout the summer, especially not 2 months later. I am wondering if I have another problem here or if I just added the salt earlier in the spring/rainy season than normal. I do have an autofill but it seems to be working, my first trouble shooting step if it drops again will be to turn it off. Also I usually use the Clorox pool salt but based on comments here, I used Diamond Crystal this year. Any ideas?

Added to say that normally I add the salt in early June when the water gets warm enough to use the salt cell but this year we started heating the water in March so we added it sooner. Also it has been an unusually wet year here.

Did your CYA level drop over the same time period as the salt level did?

How did you test the salt level in the pool?

Did your CYA level drop over the same time period as the salt level did?

How did you test the salt level in the pool?
Thanks, for some reason I was so fixated on the salt that I didn't even think about everything else. Everything is off! See below for the levels.

Should I be concerned about a leak an overfill problem (the autofill is also usually turned off in the winter but I turned it on in March too this year) or chalk it up to doing everything 3 months sooner in the rainy season? I will be honest, I don't worry about the levels much in the winter over than a little chlorine and PH, in June when I get everything right, it usually requires very little to be added between then and October other than acid.

CYA - Mid March - 90 Today - Less than 20
TA - Mid March - 60 Today - 40
CH - Mid March - 450 Today - 175
Salt - Mid March - 3,800 Today - 1,400

Leak with autofill keeping it full unless you have an overflow then the autofill could be running and it all going out the overflow.

I should also add that I have been doing this for going on 5 years now with the same pool and never had this issue. I know my pool company said I would be waisting my time and money balancing everything too early in the year and should wait until late spring to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.