Salt levels in a non-SWG pool/cloudy water now

Jul 16, 2007
Indiana
I find myself wondering about salt levels in a non-SWG pool. With each and every bleach addition, I'm adding salt, right? Is there a point where it's too much? I went and bought a bottle of salt test strips today. I got a reading of 4580. The document in the test kit stated that in an SWG pool, the usual number should be around 3000. Does it matter in a vinyl pool? I've looked around the forum, haven't found a discussion on it.

I'm experiencing light cloudiness in my water, this has never happened to me before during the swim season, to the best of my recollection (and I've had my pool for 18 seasons).

I found my alkalinity at 320 and have been working to get it down. Honestly, I don't pay a lot of attention to alkalinity.

So, is the excess salt clouding my water? High alkalinity?

My current numbers:
Chlorine: 6-8 during the day, I'm loosing a fair amount over night.
PH 7.5 (seems to be trying to go down right now- I've been aerating for the alkalinity, so that brings it back up.)
Alkalinity- 150
CYA (last time I checked)- 60

I'm thinking it's time to SLAM. I hope I have enough 12.5% bleach. Its hard to find now, as I'm sure everyone knows.

Thanks!

If you are losing FC overnight and your water is cloudy you should prepare for a SLAM Process
What test kit are you using?
Regarding the salt ppm, adding bleach over several years will raise your levels. I too had a salt ppm over 5000 and had to drain water to get down to 4000ppm to start my SWG sysrem.

In your climate I would find it unusual to have that level of salt in your water. It should be easily tasted if at that level. Does the pool water taste salty?
As Oly says, the cloudy water sounds like algae with overnight FC loss.

Good morning and thanks for your inputs.

I have the TF100 test kit. I checked the salt with an Aquacheck test strip. Yes, there is a salty taste in the water. What does climate have to do with salt in the water? This is interesting.

What about alkalinity levels in vinyl liner pools? I’ve been lowering ph to 7.2 and aerating with fountains that I made, they thread into a couple of returns. I pause my floor cleaning system and run for 5 or 6 hours,then the ph is back up to 7.5. Alkalinity was 320, now, 150.

Thanks!

Last edited:
You get rain. So typically can see some overflow due to rain. Also, you drain water to winterize, and rain/snow fills the pool. Those things should reduce the salt levels in the pool.
TA is not a big factor for your pool. If pH control is not an issue, I would not focus on the TA.

I'm going to stop thinking about the alkalinity, never thought much about it before anyway. I usually add 6-8 oz of acid a couple of times a week which doesn't bother me. Small adjustment, its been that way since I've had the pool.

CH is 380. I'll have a look at the K-1766.

I have an auto cover so generally don't get any rain water in the pool, and no snow. I do lower the level below the returns and skimmer to blow the lines for winter.

I'm getting it ready for the SLAM. I can still see the main drain, so it's not really that bad. I'm planning to sell the house next spring (moving west, Las Vegas or Laughlin, might be your neighbor MKnauss!), so I'll let the next owner decide on the SWG.

Thanks!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.