Salt Level is high

NJ-Bob

Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2014
Bridgewater, NJ
I converted to a SWCG at the beginning of the year. It was installed by a local company (I frequent their pool supply store). The installer put in 16 40 lb bags of salt which would seem to be about the right amount if I didn't already have sodium in the water. The level ended up at about 4400 compared to the manual recommendation of a max of 3400 and the TFP max of about 3600. The guy at the pool store (who wasn't involved in the installation) said not to bother draining and refilling to get the level down. Off the top of my head, I think I would need to drain about 4000 gallons.

On a related note (perhaps), my pH climbs pretty rapidly where I have to add acid every two days. Is this related? TA is about 100 and CYA was 45 when I measured a month ago so I have to address those levels but I wanted to see if I should drain/refill first.

Reactions: kplaster
I converted to a SWCG at the beginning of the year. It was installed by a local company (I frequent their pool supply store). The installer put in 16 40 lb bags of salt which would seem to be about the right amount if I didn't already have sodium in the water. The level ended up at about 4400 compared to the manual recommendation of a max of 3400 and the TFP max of about 3600. The guy at the pool store (who wasn't involved in the installation) said not to bother draining and refilling to get the level down. Off the top of my head, I think I would need to drain about 4000 gallons.

On a related note (perhaps), my pH climbs pretty rapidly where I have to add acid every two days. Is this related? TA is about 100 and CYA was 45 when I measured a month ago so I have to address those levels but I wanted to see if I should drain/refill first.
Wouldn't do anything if SWG is taking it without any errors.Salt level will come down.Swimmers may get a little more salt taste.I did the same thing.

Yes, the generator panel shows it is working so I won't drain. If anything, I have to keep cutting back on the output knob and filter time to bring the chlorine level down. I'll get to work on the TA and CYA levels.

Other than these minor issues, I'm really enjoying not having to put in new Trichlor pucks every week.

Reactions: kplaster
Yes, the generator panel shows it is working so I won't drain. If anything, I have to keep cutting back on the output knob and filter time to bring the chlorine level down. I'll get to work on the TA and CYA levels.

Other than these minor issues, I'm really enjoying not having to put in new Trichlor pucks every week.
I'm only running my at 10 % on two 5 hour run times.Also,are you getting your salt level from a test or info from SWG.

High salt level on the Hayward SWGs causes high amps which overheats components on the board and premature failure. Best to run Hayward SWGs at the low end of the range.

You can read about burned board failures at...

High salt level on the Hayward SWGs causes high amps which overheats components on the board and premature failure. Best to run Hayward SWGs at the low end of the range.

You can read about burned board failures at...

Is this a problem with the Autopilot systems? I have a new pool and posted about my high salt but got no replies on that issue. I'm at about 4800. Wondering if I should lower it. My well water sucks so I'm not inclined to replace the pool water I paid for.

Is this a problem with the Autopilot systems? I have a new pool and posted about my high salt but got no replies on that issue. I'm at about 4800. Wondering if I should lower it. My well water sucks so I'm not inclined to replace the pool water I paid for.

No, the Hayward systems seem burn up boards due to high salt. Other manufacturers electronic designs seem to tolerate it better. However there is no telling what stress high salt is doing to the SWG. Manufacturers have a recommended range for a reason.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree, higher that recommended salinity levels force transformer based powersupply used in SWCG to shift thermal load from equal distributed to transformer or other components depending on electronics design. This cause parts to operate at elevated temperatures, over the long time this will dramatically reduce it's lifespan.
With companies that use switchmode powersupplies, this is not a problem. The limits would be just in electrode design and are much broader.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.