Salt level discrepancy ... sanity check

Just got another email from TechSupport ... still not helpful really because this does not explain that the salt reading is a function of the V and A and T.
Normal voltage range should be 22.5 - 26.9 and
4.7-7.9 amperage
with a salt level between 2700-3400 ppm.
Anything
out side these ranges may indicate an issue with the system and would
requier service.

I would be surprised if it was a calibration issue because I don't think there should be much variation between controller units and I wonder if they even have a calibration procedure during manufacturing. Plus there is no way to re-calibrate with a new cell so they must be confident in the manufacturing process.

It could be something about the cell or even the cable from the cell. I think the cable measures the voltage at the cell to remove the voltage drop from the cable. Have you tried to re-seat the cell cable?

When I switched the cell settings, I did pull the cell plug out and put it back in with a little wiggle ;)

What seems odd if that you said given the numbers (V, A, T), you would have expected the salt reading to be around 3100ppm yet I see 2600ppm.

Maybe I should see if I can find someone that has another cell I can try this weekend .....
Care to volunteer chiefwej ??? :lol:

You are very focused on the T-cell reading wrong. I might investigate whether your test kit is testing wrong. After all, you pointed out that you measured 1200ppm when you expected that it should be less than 600ppm. Any way you can test with a different kit? Maybe the t-cell is reporting correct.

I added salt in 2 steps 200lbs and then 120lbs ... and the test kit gave the correct delta salt ppm levels each time ... not sure how the delta could be correct and the total magnitude be wrong. Also had the water tested by the pool store who reported 3200ppm ... same as my test kit. Also, in one of Mark's earlier posts he estimated that the unit should be reporting around 3100ppm based on my data

Based on that, I am pretty comfortable with the "true" salt level {Maybe I will take it to another store and see what they say} but still suspect the cell or controller.

Maybe this is all for naught and the accuracy of the controller is +/- 400ppm and the accuracy of my test is +/- 200ppm and they just happen to be off in the "correct" way to give me a 600ppm discrepancy. But, I have yet to see the accuracy of the controller stated anywhere.

Confession: I am an engineer ... I like data :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.