Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
I’ve watched my salt level keep rising and now IC20 is flashing high salt at 4500. Confirmed with Taylor kit. I have not added any salt since initial fill of the pool 9 months ago to 3600ppm. I do believe our auto refill is with softened water, tested it at 150ppm with Taylor kit. We have almost daily splash out with young kids. I know I have to drain but want to figure out what is happening. My only guess is we live in AZ and the temps have caused excessive evaporation but from other threads thought this is mitigated by splash out, ect. I usually can always find the answers in this forum and am stumped. Thank you!!

Welcome to TFP.

How are you measuring your salt? You need to use a K-1766 Salt Test kit - Salt

The IntelliClor will continue generating with the high salt warning.

The Intellichor tends to read higher salt when the water temperature increases. The thermistor in the flow switch may be malfunctioning.

Don’t make any adjustments until you know the actual salt in the water.

Thank you for the response. Just confirmed again with what I believe is the K-1766 from my TF pro salt. Salt is 4400 with no salt additions. Started at 3600 last August. The higher reading in higher temps info is helpful tho, thanks again.

My salinity will rise a little over time, but not quite as much as you show. Primarily from muriatic acid and fill water. I use softened water and that does not add salinity when properly operating.

Hard to believe that your salinity is increasing that much just from fill water. AT the numbers you are citing, you would need to add 9lbs of salt per month to see the increase you have. That just not realistic.

Can you test the salinity of your raw water (before the softener) and the salinity of the water out of your softener using your K-1766? You may need to use a large water sample, like 40mL, to get a 50ppm/drop precision. Small glass beaker, 50mL size, work well for this. All you need to do is add 3-4 drops of the indicator reagent and then just count off the titrating reagent as you normally would. With a properly operating water softener, you should really see no difference between the input and output water salinity since the test is only sensitive to chloride ions and not sodium ions.

If you are seeing a big difference in salinity across the softener output, then your water softener may be defective. The high salinity brine solution used to regenerate a water softener is only used during the regeneration process and it should be completely flushed out with a backwash and rinse step after the media is soaked in brine. There can always be little bit of residual brine left over, but it should quickly clear out after regeneration.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.