Thomasville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R4
Hi, I walked around the pool this morning to clean out the skimmer and noticed my salt water generator was "sleeping' due to high salt. We changed the liner this year and added the appropriate amount of salt and I tested it several times and it has been around 3200. I just checked it and added 46 drops which would make it 9200. OMG. We have the taylor K-1766 test kit. What is going on? My other readings are:
FC 2 (because the generator isn't working-no problem I can fix that)
ph > 8.2
TA 132
CYA 90

I had a problem a few weeks ago with the TA being high ( 132) so I added muriatic acid and then aerated to balance the ph and TA and it was fine. Where is this crazy high salt reading coming from? I also don't have a clue why the TA is up again. We have not had a lot of rain so we added a little water on 2 occasions, but we definitely have not added any salt to the pool.

Are you adding anything other than MA or bleach to your pool? I have done tests on my pool and got crazy numbers before as well. I waited a few hours and retested and all was fine so I chalked it up to user error. Chlorine will add salt to pool slightly if Im understanding things correctly. The only way I know to lower salt is to drain x amount of water and refill. Try another test first...

When we installed the new liner we used bleach until we got our salt and CYA added. Of course at the start I used borax, baking soda to get things balanced, but that has been 6 weeks ago. We added 360 lbs of salt which is what is recommended. It is very perplexing

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.