Salt... how much are you using...

Aug 12, 2018
New Orleans, LA
So, I am 16 weeks into using a chlorine generator (converted after 14 yrs fresh water).
I have a 24,000 gal pool
FC - Keeping it in the 3 - 5 range
Salt - I am using one (1) 40lbs bag every two (2) weeks.
I live in New Orleans and we do get a lot of rain (I generally Back Wash once every two (2) weeks... during or after a *heavy* thunderstorm as the pool overflows). On those heavy rain days I probably dump 1,000 to 1,500 gallons (my California friends are astonished). Additionally, I make monthly adjustments to CH, TA and CYA as appropriate.

I am curious about others salt replenishment regiments.

Thanks

dennis

I never add salt unless I exchange the pool water to fresh.

Not sure why you want to backwash that much water. But test and keep your levels in the recommended ranges.
What test kits are you using?

I use the Taylor 2006.

I backwash because the pool is overflowing... and the skimmer will not skim because the top of the skimmer is probably six (6) inches under water. So, rather than just drain off the excess water, I assumed (probably incorrectly) that it would be a good time to clean the filter.

If you are having to adjust salt levels, you need the Taylor K1766 kit also.

They did not plumb in an overflow for your pool?

If I understand correctly... then, all additional salt use is due to water replenishment (be it rain or fill water)?

I have certainly been in the unfor=tunate situation where it has not rained for 10 days... added fill water then 2 days later had to reduce the pool water level because a torrential downpour. Maybe I need to add a relief drain at the top of the skimmer. You have me thinking.

Only way you reduce the salt level in your pool is by draining pool water and replacing it with fresh water. Or by dilution and draining as you are doing. Evaporation losses do not remove salt.

If your multiport valve gives you the option of running it to "waste" instead of 'backwash" you'll still will remove the water you want but you won't be over-backwashing your filter. A slightly dirty sand filter works better at capturing and filtering stuff. Only backwash when your filter pressure raises 25% over your baseline clean pressure.

Maddie :flower:

dennis,
your salt usage for a 24K gallons sounds about right to me. Between the rain you get and the backwashing, Im not surprised.

In my location, 50mi West of Shreveport, i'll put in about 6 bags in early spring when in turn the SWG back on, and then another 6 from April thru August, and then another 2 or 3 from Sept thru Mid November which is about when I shut it down. And I dont do any backwashing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.