Salt Generator in a Pool with a huge faux rock grotto, waterfall, slide etc. Recipe for disaster?

michaelbuday

Bronze Supporter
Mar 1, 2017
Dana Point, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My son wants to switch out his trichlor based tablet feeder for a SWG after dealing with CYA levels that are now out of control. The pool is just over one year old. When he called his pool builder and inquired about making the switch, the builder replied:

"Don't do it. You'll be sorry. Everything will turn white and start delaminating the rocks."

Now, this same contractor built my pool 12 years ago (also with a trichlor feeder) and warned me not to switch to a salt system - again with the same warnings:

"Your plaster will delaminate and I will not honor the warranty if you switch to a salt system. Salt gets into crevices and expands, which causes cracks and delamination."

I made the switch anyway and my pool looks great after 12 years.

So if I may ask you pool professionals: is adding a salt system to a pool with (admittedly) a huge number of faux (concrete painted) rocks and water slide, grotto, etc. going to destroy them as claimed by the builder? I've added a couple of pics if that helps, and my son has outlined areas where calcium or efflorescence is already causing noticeable issues.

Many thanks.
MB

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpeg
    IMG_3046.jpeg
    915.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3045.jpeg
    IMG_3045.jpeg
    885.6 KB · Views: 39
Test the present salt content of your son's pool.

Add liquid chlorine, tabs, muriatic acid and ever swimmers adds salt to any pool.

Maintain the pool to TFP standards and it's a non-issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
The faux rocks will have appearance issues as it weathers over time as your son is already seeing.

The Pool Builder will blame it on the SWG if he has one and blame it on somethings else if he does not.

Get the SWG and deal with the cosmetic issues that appear on the faux rocks.

So if I may ask you pool professionals: is adding a salt system to a pool with (admittedly) a huge number of faux (concrete painted) rocks and water slide, grotto, etc. going to destroy them as claimed by the builder?

👇

Now, this same contractor built my pool 12 years ago (also with a trichlor feeder) and warned me not to switch to a salt system - again with the same warnings:

"Your plaster will delaminate and I will not honor the warranty if you switch to a salt system. Salt gets into crevices and expands, which causes cracks and delamination."

👇👇👇

I'm sorry. Was there a question in there somewhere ? 😁

My son wants to switch out his trichlor based tablet feeder for a SWG after dealing with CYA levels that are now out of control. The pool is just over one year old. When he called his pool builder and inquired about making the switch, the builder replied:

"Don't do it. You'll be sorry. Everything will turn white and start delaminating the rocks."

So if I may ask you pool professionals: is adding a salt system to a pool with (admittedly) a huge number of faux (concrete painted) rocks and water slide, grotto, etc. going to destroy them as claimed by the builder? I've added a couple of pics if that helps, and my son has outlined areas where calcium or efflorescence is already causing noticeable issues.

Many thanks.
MB
If the faux rocks are already showing calcium deposits the same deposits will be there after switching to a SWG. The pool builder has been misinformed for at least 12 years. 😉

Reactions: proavia
👇

👇👇👇

I'm sorry. Was there a question in there somewhere ? 😁
Sorry, yes 😁. I have no concrete faux rocks
👇

👇👇👇

I'm sorry. Was there a question in there somewhere ?
Yeah I see your point 😃, but yes. My pool has a natural stocked stone waterfall, but my son’s pool is entirely concrete faux rock. I just wanted to make sure that painted concrete rock isn’t affected differently than natural stone. Plus, if my son goes this route AND he has issues with the plaster or other surfaces down the line, the builder states he will not honor the warranty.

The pool builder does very high quality work in our area and his reputation is without question - plus he stands behind his work years after the pool is built. I guess I have to accept that despite his sterling reputation building pools, his knowledge of salt based systems is stuck in the dark ages. You would think builders with such great track records would stay up to snuff on these things?

I guess I have to accept that despite his sterling reputation building pools, his knowledge of salt based systems is stuck in the dark ages.

He may be really good as building pools, but his chemistry knowledge is lacking.

Ask him is he is aware that EVERY pool that uses chlorine (except chlorine gas) and muriatic acid is actually a salt pool. If he has a non-SWG pool at his own house, hafe him measure the salt level in his own pool. It will blow his mind.

Reactions: michaelbuday
I have no concrete faux rocks
Ok, here's 2 more points to hammer it home. Every coastal bridge in the land stands on concrete pillars into actual salt water. They weather from the elements, and the tides pounding them 24/7, not the salt. Yet the Grand Canyon was carved with freshwater because Mother Nature's 'building materials' weren't that robust there. :)

In a quick google, most references to efflorescence point to it as salts coming OUT of concrete due to initial internal moisture when newer. Not from water/salts going in. Some do mention that damp conditions can exacerbate it. But all note that over time, the effect disappears as the concrete ages. Here's one reference: https://www.cement.org/docs/default-source/fc_mat-app_pdfs/masonry/is239-pca-efflorescence.pdf
So what your son is seeing is more usual with new construction than not. And it is not a sign of deterioration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In a quick google, most references to efflorescence point to it as salts coming OUT of concrete due to initial internal moisture when newer. Not from water/salts going in. Some do mention that damp conditions can exacerbate it. But all note that over time, the effect disappears as the concrete ages. Here's one reference: https://www.cement.org/docs/default-source/fc_mat-app_pdfs/masonry/is239-pca-efflorescence.pdf
So what your son is seeing is more usual with new construction than not. And it is not a sign of deterioration.
Thanks so much for the info!

Ok, here's 2 more points to hammer it home. Every coastal bridge in the land stands on concrete pillars into actual salt water. They weather from the elements, and the tides pounding them 24/7, not the salt. Yet the Grand Canyon was carved with freshwater because Mother Nature's 'building materials' weren't that robust there. :)
Very interesting. I always thought the salt was eroding the concrete. I know near the coast here in SoCal - the salty air gets into the rebar, rusting through the concrete.

Many thanks!

Reactions: Newdude
He may be really good as building pools, but his chemistry knowledge is lacking.

Ask him is he is aware that EVERY pool that uses chlorine (except chlorine gas) and muriatic acid is actually a salt pool. If he has a non-SWG pool at his own house, hafe him measure the salt level in his own pool. It will blow his mind.
Very interesting. I’ll take salinity meter over to my sons pool and compare to mine ;-).

Thanks so much.

Reactions: proavia
the salty air gets into the rebar, rusting through the concrete.
Again, that's moisture destroying any exposed rebar. It happens in liquid chlorine plaster pools all the time if any pokes through the surface, or the steel tie ends do. But it's the metal that's an issue (in either water), not a concrete/plaster issue.:)

Knowing that all pools have salt in them I'd ask him what the safe salt level is. There's a good chance he won't have an answer. Before I switched to a SWG I was using tabs and mostly liquid chlorine. My salt level was ~2200ppm before I added any salt.

My pool is only 5 months old. I too got the same line from my PB but had always planned to convert to using salt to generate chlorine. The first 2.5 months were using tablets. (I had back surgery just after the pool was filled so extended the guys handling the startup until I could take over. I have been using (lots of) liquid chlorine for the last 2.5 months. My salt level is already at 1,300.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.