Also - your FC testing. 10 ml of water sample, one scoop of powder, each drop of reagent to clear is 0.5ppm FC.

You just don't need that much.

You did divide your drops in half for the ppm? Edit --- 7 gallons would have added 33 ppm FC to your pool.

Yeah, I've been attempting to SLAM. My chlorine has been disspearing as fast as I can add it. As noted in original post, it came out of a green period that I resolved with chlorine solids...thought maybe I wasn't truly getting rid of something.

This morning I got up a little later than hoped (forgot to set alarm), at 8am it was down to 20 drops/10ppm; an overnight loss of 5ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This rapid consumption of chlorine and a 'slightly cloudy' pool does not add up.

You are absolutely sure no other potions have been added since opening the pool this year?

The only thing that consumes this much chlorine this fast is typically ammonia. It takes lots of chlorine to clear it. If the chlorine starts to hold better here on out, then it is defeated. But it is rare to have ammonia in a pool that is 'slightly cloudy'.

Here's a run down since opening:
  1. Pool technician removed cover, noticed it half-empty (down ~10k gallons), but fairly clear
  2. Pool leak technician discovered a few holes, could only patch one in shallow end until deep end completely clear and water warmer
  3. Added 5k gallons of water from city
  4. Rain added 5k gallons of water while we were on vacation
  5. Returned to full pool, very green
  6. Pool technitian added 10lbs of chlorine powder; this was first time water turned solid white, similar to salt-effect seen in picture of my original post; considered it something that needed to be killed
  7. Over next few days chlorine dropped to 0 and still green, but some improvement
  8. (this is where I should have SLAMed, but forgot about it...)
  9. Bought Chorlox 2-stage for alge (basically shock and flocculant packets)
  10. Much better, still cloudy, but flocculant working
  11. Bought 40lb buck of Chlorox chlorine powder; added 2-3lbs every few days
  12. Added alkalinity up
  13. Added more alkalinity up
  14. Added 4, 45lb bags of salt, given so much fresh water
  15. Salt tested 1800; added 3, 45lbs of salt (generator light still indicates low, need to have store test again)
  16. Returned to this forum and started this thread when water turned white again after adding salt
  17. Started SLAM

Do I continue to SLAM or is there a means to check ammonia?

Last edited:
Would be nice to know what was in the algae magic potion. Also what was the chlorine powder.

Only way to defeat ammonia is more chlorine.

In the future, at opening, if you test 0 CYA, you need to test for ammonia.

Given rainwater filled 5k gallons, would that greatly increase nitrogen and therefore ammonia?

I'll head over to the pet store for an ammonia test kit.

Turns out I remembered wrong: not Chlorox, it was HTH Green-to-Blue; ingredients are mentioned in this other post:

Green to Blue I is 52 % calcium hypochlorite. Green to Blue II is the flocculent (Aluminum Chlorohydrate).

I vaccumed to waste a few times, but then switched to brushing to let filter grab the remaining, dropped alge. Perhaps I need to deep clean the sand?

After using floc you will need to most likely change your sand if the floc got in the filter. You can try a deep clean if you like.

I took a sample to pool store and everything is perfect. 2 FC, 0 CC, 200 CH, 70 CYA, 80 TA, 7.2 pH, 2900 Salt.

My SWG still says "low," so I added another bag to get it over 3000. I plan to take it apart this weekend and see if I need to clean.

Still when I add the salt I get the cloud. I think it happens mostly when it hits the jet, or gets sucked into the filter and comes out the jet. Cloud always forms over by the jet despite slowly pouring it into the pool on the opposite side. This picture is facing the other end of the pool.

Otherwise super clear...is there any safety questions around swimming? I plan to peek at the sand this weekend.

Well, okay, not perfect, but pretty good...it's a bit low because my SWG isn't helping yet...

I went to the pool store to verify DPD at-home testing...I just wanted to be sure and I don't have a salt test.

This has happened with every bag of salt I've added (close to 6 bags, over 3 different times, I think); along with the original time when pool tech added chlorine powder.

I can't figure out what would cause it to interact this way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.