scader

Jul 3, 2016
Overland Park, KS
I've been adding salt to my pool for 5 years now, and don't recall this kind of reaction when adding it.

I added three, 45lb bags.

For more details, my pool opened half-drained from a leak. So I had to re-add (through city and some help from rain water) 10,000 gallons. Naturally, all my chems have been short. I got it clean and chlorinated from powder, but waited on adding salt until all the alge was gone (didn't want to backwash that or cya away). So today I added the salt, and it was like clouds forming in the pool, and that is not a reflection from the sky. All the white in the water is only from the salt. After 5 minutes the entire pool was solid white, and then about 20-30 minutes later it was back to all blue.

Is this normal?

This happens sometimes. I suspect that it might be a combination of dissolved gasses in the water and a chemical surfactant reacting to the salt.

Possibly a nucleation reaction, like what happens when you drop mentos in diet coke.

I've been adding this ever so often to keep chlorine up (given cya low and salt gen not running yet).

I also bought an alge drop product from the same company. It was a "2-step" process, where you added what likely was pouches of this product, followed by two packets of an alge drop (to let sit overnight). I can't find a picture of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With a FC of 0 I suggest you SLAM Process.
Read the article.
Raise your FC to Shock Level for your CYA based on FC/CYA Levels. Maintain that FC as often as possible (every couple hours to several times per day) until the water is crystal clear and you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

I'm performing the SLAM, and I had a few questions...let me know if I should start a new thread versus continuing this discussion.

All chem levels test within accepted parameters. CYA is at 70.

It has taken 7 gallons of pool-rated liquid chlorine (10%) to achieve 15ppm FC. CC is 0.5ppm.

Is it odd for that much chlorine to only achieve 15ppm in 21k gallon pool, particularly when the water was blue to begin with and only slightly cloudy? To get up to 28ppm I'll probably have to add another 7 gallongs.

I took that last sample for the overnight test, but it's also raining. I presume that ruins the overnight test?

Check the chlorine you have. Where did you get it? What does the Julian date say (printed on the bottle - 19XXX).

Other wise, no. It should not take that much to get to 15 ppm FC. Was all that added in a short time frame?

Rain does not appreciably effect the OCLT unless you get enough rain to overflow the pool for quite some time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.