Olive Branch, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey everyone, I'm hoping for some suggestions. We have a saltwater pool with a Hayward T-cell 15 salt cell that we bought 2 years ago brand new. This year I cleaned the salt cell with water and Muriatic acid before opening the pool. Since opening the pool i have been receiving an error message that says cell temp sensor short curcuit and Chlorinator off sensor fault. I have changed out the air temp and pool temp sensors hoping that was the problem but it didn't change the error message. Does anyone what I should do from here or what else could be wrong? I really don't want to buy another salt cell when this one is only 2 years old. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424_195922_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_195922_Gallery.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240424_195912_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_195912_Gallery.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 14
Magnifying the serial number on the shows the serial number starts with 1E which is Hayward's 3000 hour warranty replacement cell which would normally last about 15 months. Some sellers either intentionally or unintentionally sell them as full price T-15 cells so it's buyer beware. My suggestion is to take the cell to a pool store and have them test it on the Hayward tester. Can only get two results, PASS or FAIL.

Usually, a cell sensor short comes from the temperature sensor imbedded in the cell that is a difficult DYI fix. If you purchase another Hayward cell, please make sure the serial number starts with either 3E or 4E . Those are 10,000 hours cells. 3 is the warranty length in years for the T-15 cell. 4 is the warranty length for T940 cell (extra coating T-15 cell).

Wow, I had no idea that's what the serial numbers meant. That's so disappointing since I paid $900 for it. We winterize the pool during winter time so it has not even been in use for 15 months. Thank you for your feedback. I'll find a pool store that can test it.

1E19 means 1 year warranty made in 2019.

The cell is over 4 years old.

Check the resistance of the thermistor.

1714056426315.png

Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.

• 1) Black - Power to cell
  • 2) White - Power to cell
  • 3) Black - Power to cell
  • 4) White - Power to cell
  • 5) Brown - Not used
  • 6) Red - Goes to thermistor
  • 7) Orange - Not used
  • 8) Yellow - Not used
  • 9) Green - Not used
  • 10) Blue - Goes to thermistor.
To test the thermistor test between points 6 and 10 using a multimeter, the resistance should follow a 10k thermistor chart.

1714056611967.png

Reactions: Katie C
You could use an external temp sensor and connect it to the red and blue wires going to the plug.

This is a hack that is not approved by anyone and you do it at your own risk based on your assessment of if it will work.

I do not recommend doing this.

1714057219353.png

Reactions: Katie C
On the Aquarite, you can isolate the thermister or disconnect the red or blue wire for testing. With the temp sensor disconnected, the controller will revert to the default fixed temp at 77°F.

That's true for the IntelliChlor, but I do not think that it is true for the Aquarite.
It should work for Aquarite. Try it!
I have this old AQR mainboard sw r1.55 with a hacked 10k resistor soldered on the PCB to spoof the temp sensor. I move the jumper to the 10k resistor during cold months for uninterrupted chlorine production or remove the jumper to keep the temp sensor line open circuit. The display will read 77°F. I have upgraded to sw r1.59 to prevent the thermistor from burning.

Attachments

• AQR_TH_hacked.jpg
    AQR_TH_hacked.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 5
Wow, I had no idea that's what the serial numbers meant. That's so disappointing since I paid $900 for it. We winterize the pool during winter time so it has not even been in use for 15 months. Thank you for your feedback. I'll find a pool store that can test it.
If my memory serves me correctly, in 2019 the 3 yr warranty cells were retailing for $599 . Perhaps you purchased an old stock, 1 year cell, within the last 2-2.5 years for $900 when Amazon resellers were advertising 3 yr cells but shipping 1 yr cells? It is disappointing. So sorry you got taken advantage of. If it makes you feel any better, I purchased a 3yr new cell (not under warranty) directly from Hayward only to receive a 1 yr cell and then have them claim it was a "honest mistake".

I move the jumper to the 10k resistor during cold months for uninterrupted chlorine production or remove the jumper to keep the temp sensor line open circuit. The display will read 77°F.
With a 10k resistor, you will read 77 degrees and it will work.

However, if the line is open, I think that it will throw an error code and not work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1E19 means 1 year warranty made in 2019.

The cell is over 4 years old.

Check the resistance of the thermistor.

View attachment 567426

Holding the plug vertically with the cord going down and looking at the connection points. 1 is top left, 2 is top right, 3 is second down left and so on with 9 being lower left and 10 being lower right.

• 1) Black - Power to cell
  • 2) White - Power to cell
  • 3) Black - Power to cell
  • 4) White - Power to cell
  • 5) Brown - Not used
  • 6) Red - Goes to thermistor
  • 7) Orange - Not used
  • 8) Yellow - Not used
  • 9) Green - Not used
  • 10) Blue - Goes to thermistor.
To test the thermistor test between points 6 and 10 using a multimeter, the resistance should follow a 10k thermistor chart.

View attachment 567427

Thank you for this info. I tested the salt cell thermistor and got these numbers .18 or .19 but I'm not sure how to read this chart. Any thoughts on if these numbers mean it's bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240426_152446_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_152446_Gallery.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240426_152441_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240426_152441_Gallery.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 4
If my memory serves me correctly, in 2019 the 3 yr warranty cells were retailing for $599 . Perhaps you purchased an old stock, 1 year cell, within the last 2-2.5 years for $900 when Amazon resellers were advertising 3 yr cells but shipping 1 yr cells? It is disappointing. So sorry you got taken advantage of. If it makes you feel any better, I purchased a 3yr new cell (not under warranty) directly from Hayward only to receive a 1 yr cell and then have them claim it was a "honest mistake".
Wow, that is so disappointing. I wonder if it would do any good if I contact the seller at this point.

Swimpure is Hayward and they do not sell on Amazon.

You have to look at the "Sold By" information on the page.

The temperature sensor seems to be indicating 193 ohms, which is a bad temperature sensor.

You can try an external temperature sensor if you want.

It is a hack, so I will not recommend it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support