Salt Buildup on Plates of Jandyj Aquapure Ei 35 SWCG

panamax53

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Dec 10, 2015
Doral, FL
I have noticed an increase in what is probably salt buildup on my electrolytic cell plates. I don't think it is enough to really impact the efficiency as I do not get any sort of error message. Summer water temps are 89 degrees. I keep the salt around 4000 per mfg spec. Calcium is 350. TA 60 pH 7.7 FC 7 CYA 80.
If I acid wash it the buildup will start within 10 days partially filling one cell plate.
Should I wait for an error message before acid washing the plate? It took two 10 minute 10% acid washes to clear the buildup last time.
Is this a sign my cell is going bad?

It is not salt,it is calcium scale.

Be sure to manage your CSI at 0 or just below. That should keep the scale off the SWCG.

Acid washing a SWCG cell reduces its life so do not do it unless you have to.

I have not acid cleaned my cell since new, 3 years.

Take care.

You're #'s indicate you should have a slightly - CSI are those generally your numbers or is your CH or PH often higher? My Hayward recommends cleaning 1st by spraying water with hose, reversing polarity (not sure if your's supports that), then cleaning with plastic/wood/ non metal scraper, prior to using acid (since as stated it reduces cell life). I'm not sure why you would have scale that often if your numbers are producing a - CSI...

Yes, my CSI is typically -O.28 to .39. CH 350 and pH 7.7 pretty much stay in that range. I am anal about frequent testing. My wife thinks I'm nuts for testing 3-4 times a week and doesn't care to learn a thing about the pool. She made me build this, select a salt option and, as I predicted, has used the pool about 3 times in the last 9 months. (could be an interesting subject for a new thread???) A major investment that I don't want to have to pay for to resurface if the chemistry is not right. My water temp is 89 degrees in the summer here. The only thing that Jandy recommends is the acid bath method. There is not a recommended method to water spray first or scrape with any tool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.