NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
We had a new pool built last year so first winter with it. It snowed yesterday so couldn’t see where the edge of the cover/pool is. The kids were in the yard running around and one basically ran right through the pool over the safety cover. Had it been a tarp, they would’ve been right into the water.

You could blame it on me for not keeping the kids away but I see this as the reason why we got a safety cover. Can’t be around them 100% of the time. Our yard is small and having another fence around the pool would’ve been hideous. The safety cover did its job.

Hello. There were 2 separate child drowning incidents here in Aus and one in USA publicised while our pool was under construction.

I have young kids and gee whiz did I loose sleep at the time thinking I have made a mistake not waiting till they were older. Now it's built i don't even consider whether the fence is ugly or hideous, because to me it is just too important.

Last edited:
Yay!! It earned its cost for sure. I wouldn't encourage them to deliberately walk on it, but for sure that saved the day.

Maddie :flower:
They didn’t walk over it intentionally. I was helping one sledding down the hill on the opposite side when I saw the other one walking across the edge of it. They know where it is now since I brushed off the snow around the edge of the cover so it’s easy to see where it is now.

Hello. There were 2 separate child drowning incidents here in Aus and one in USA publicised while our pool was under construction.

I have young kids and gee whiz did I loose sleep at the time thinking I have made a mistake not waiting till they were older. Now it's built i don't even consider whether the fence is ugly or hideous, because to me it is just too important.
It sounds like the original poster has a fence around his yard, but not the imediate area of the pool. Glad he has a winter safety cover, but curious if he has an auto cover for pool season. Because otherwise it sounds like a definite hazard

Some areas don't require a fence if you have an auto pool cover. I would still use a winter safety cover in the off season, especially if you get snow. But regardless, it would make sense to keep the pool borders defined and visible when snow is on the ground.

Correct. There is a fence around the backyard but not immediately around the pool. No auto over because the kids can swim without issue. This was just not knowing the border of the pool while it was covered in snow. As it’s snowing now I’ve marked off the edge of the cover so we clearly know where it is now.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.