Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking for a new Meyco Saftey Cover for a 25' x 50' pool. What should I expect to pay for just the cover? Any thoughts on solid vs. mesh covers.... pros and cons? I'm assuming a solid cover would keep the pool cleaner, but would have to continuously pump water off of the cover, whereas mesh would be less maintenance, but would allow a lot of fine stuff to seep into the pool over the winter. Is it necessary to pump water off of a solid safety cover if you leave the pool mostly full? I understand there is a type of plug for the return lines that allows them to be blown out even when water is above the return. Do they work? Thanks for any guidance on this.

Bungee plugs are the one you want. They also make Duck plugs which also work but are flimsy. The ice popped the cap on mine and left the flimsy duck lips exposed for who knows how long. Pull up both of them and the bungee plugs are much beefier.

Did you stay in Elmhurst with the move ? Elmhurst gets the US average of 38 inches a year of rainfall and about the same of snow, which will melt for a few more inches of water. So 2/3 or so will fall when the pool is covered and need to be drained either way. Either from above the solid cover with a cover pump, or by popping a corner of the mesh and draining the pool some with a submersible pump / hose. If you moved somewhere else, expect similar rainfalls unless it was to the southeast which gets more.

I did find a good deal of silt in the spring with my mesh cover, nicely settled on the bottom. It took a few passes with the vac and wasn’t an issue of any kind.

Meyco definitely makes quality covers. Also check Merlin and Looplock. I’ll take whichever is available when the time comes personally. Cant go wrong. Many generics are made by the big 3 too, but up to you if you want that risk.

A lot can go into the pricing if it’s an off the shelf size / shape, or a total custom job. When you call on behalf of the condo you may get their commercial line, which could be more expensive as well. The prices have been up lately and for residential have been $5k-$7k installed for larger covers like yours. Like anything else get a few quotes and post em up.

Same size cover, but free form. Paid just shy of 5K for a Dover cover installed. The install was not great as they did not core drill and in hindsight I should have used someone else to install. I used mesh because the solid cover is like 700 pounds for my pool.

Did you stay in Elmhurst with the move
Yep. Moved just 3 miles away and sold to my daughter. I plan to hang out at my old pool quite a bit next summer! :)

Mesh sounds like the way to go. If the silt "nicely settles" on the bottom, I assume you vacuum that to waste before doing much else with the pool when opening in the spring.

Thanks for the info guys.... very helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.