safe to swim

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I did a search for those words but didn't really find anything I can slap my husband with. We got algae bc he let the FC drop below 5. He says it's "not safe" to swim with FC above 5. I say BS. I want it at no less than 6. it's hot here. Now it's at 17. (finished the SLAM). Is there any proof anywhere i can look that might sway him? otherwise, I guess I am swimming alone tomorrow and Monday....sigh....

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.
yeah, I read that but the husband is saying that it's still "not safe" even tho it's right now at 17....i need concrete proof.....!

When you factor in the buffering effect of CYA the actual active chlorine in a pool at SLAM level is less than the active chlorine level in a pool with no CYA and 1 ppm FC at 7.5 pH (pH becomes important if there's no CYA in the water, that's why I mention it).

Since he's saying "5 ppm or less" is safe, we'll assume he means that for any pool, even one with no CYA. That is about 10x harsher than a pool at SLAM level, and the equivalent of a pool with 50 ppm CYA having an FC level of about 40 ppm.

Reactions: mknauss
I like to play devil's advocate... Where is his proof that it is unsafe? And who paid for that study?

I'm currently enjoying my pool with FC of 11, because I've had a few days of clouds and wasn't using up as much chlorine. Oh yeah, and because of science! :p

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.