Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
If there is a chlorine residual in the pool (and little combined chlorine.... less than .5) is it safe to be in the water if algae is present in the pool? I know the algae should be addressed by SLAMming, brushing, vacuuming, etc. Just wondering if people should stay out of a pool where some algae is visible and what the potential harmful effects are? I've heard a retort that "the lake has algae and we swim in that".

John

Algae itself is not always harmful however it is the canary in the coal mine indicator that the water may not be sanitary.

Reactions: JPMorgan
If you mean, can you swim in a pool with algae?
In short, the answer is yes. But is it safe to swim in a pool with algae? Significant amounts of swimming pool algae welcome a breeding ground of harmful bacteria that feed on algae. Most commonly, these bacteria result in a skin rash for swimmers.

Significant amounts of swimming pool algae welcome a breeding ground of harmful bacteria that feed on algae.
Welcome to the forum. If the FC is above the minimum for the CYA, which it needs to be to safely swim whether or not the pool has visible algae in it, then there is no bacteria in the pool water.

Reactions: JPMorgan
I believe you posted 3 weeks ago that you tested the CYA of this pool to be 180? That'd indicate a very high minimum FC for safe swimming, especially in a community pool situation with many bathers. Remember that it's virus and bacteria that are the big concern.

Reactions: Newdude
I believe you posted 3 weeks ago that you tested the CYA of this pool to be 180? That'd indicate a very high minimum FC for safe swimming, especially in a community pool situation with many bathers.
That's correct. The only solution would be to drain about 3/4 of the pool water and re-fill and they are closing soon and seemed unwilling to do that. Also, I just moved here and am just getting involved, so didn't want to press the issue immediately..... trying to win the war and have a better maintained pool next season. I see no swimmers in the pool for some time now (and I overlook the pool). It's kind of a hard spot to be in, but I'm trying. Hoping to get a fresh start next year and keep CYA in check. If it gets over 100 next year, I will insist that 1/2 the water be drained and re-filled or I will drop out of being involved.... and just become the resident pain-in-the-Rear re: how the pool is being maintained.

I totally get it. I'll reiterate my initial reply to that other thread. Your service is noble, and good on you for stepping up. Be careful. I totally get the idea that a certain level of diplomacy is necessary in order for change (however slow) can be made. It's good to hear that there don't appear to be many folks using the pool at this point. It makes sense they'd be reluctant to drain, refill, balance, then immediately close the pool.

Approaching the off season, you might consider focusing on the underlying principles and legality of the situation. Being "the new guy" in a situation like that is extremely difficult when there's a lack of understanding by the board and residents to the risk they've become accustomed to... "Been smoking 40 years and it hasn't killed me yet" is a common thing humans, especially in groups fall into. When it comes to group dynamics, we're really not much more than slightly sophisticated cave dwellers, and there's a powerful unconscious resistance to change. I wonder if it might be worth it to simply point to the Code and say, "The pool is outside of these external parameters that don't have anything to do with my personal opinions on this. This is an unsafe condition that can expose the property to litigation if someone gets sick" rather than approaching it from a chemistry and mathematics standpoint and watching folks' eyes glaze over and tune out. Folks might not understand that they've gotten "okay" with the idea of algae in the pool without understanding that also means they're effectively saying "okay" to waterborne illness, and that's a hard sell to make.

If it gets over 100 next year, I will insist that 1/2 the water be drained and re-filled or I will drop out of being involved.... and just become the resident pain-in-the-Rear re: how the pool is being maintained.
It sounds like you've got a good feel for where your personal boundaries are. "This isn't safe because chemistry..." is one thing to say, and while it's true it might get you tuned out quicker. I'm sure the board has their fair share of submissions from people overreacting about whatever issue and those residents are quickly tuned out, leading them to escalate the language of their gripes because they don't feel heard. But "This isn't LEGAL" might be a more effective perspective and principle to discuss.

Reactions: Newdude
Agree wholeheartedly with your comments above. I'm trying to make changes to improve things while also not upsetting the applecart, but I won't stay involved where regulations are simply being ignored. My interest is for the Association to have a clean, healthy, attractive pool that they can be proud of. They don't have that now. I don't have a good sense yet of what's the root cause.... don't care, don't know, don't want to spend money, etc., but I'll get abetter sense of that before long. I recently communicated via email with the HOA President about some issues and included a link to the Swimming Facility Code, so he can't say he didn't know there were regulations. I made it clear that anything I do re: pool maintenance will be incompliance with the regs. He may have ignored it, not opened the link, etc., but that's his problem, not mine. If I'm involved next season and the regs are not being followed, I will step aside (and probably make it clear to the board and other residents that the regs are being violated). Will keep the "chemistry talk" to a minimum. I understand and agree that will just turn people off. Probably all I need to say is... "the current conditions in the pool are not in compliance with the state regulations and the pool needs to close until this is addressed." Hopefully, that will get some attention! If not, I may not be here long (and certainly won't be spending any time in the pool).

Reactions: TexEdmond
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.