Spring, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Sad day seeing these three trees being cut down. We tried to manage keeping them and keeping up with pool maintenance.

We loved the shade and privacy they provided but hated constantly emptying skimmer baskets and having to use skimming net and vacuum every other day. Only solution we had was to hide our beautiful pool under a ugly leaf cover.

We will plant privacy shrubs soon!!!

Attachments

• 783A8629-CCEE-448A-8152-DF1CF678061C.jpeg
    783A8629-CCEE-448A-8152-DF1CF678061C.jpeg
    929.6 KB · Views: 113
Yeah, that’s a whole lotta mess right there.

We had a mesquite tree growing in the easement between my wall and my neighbors wall. It provided some nice shade for the pool in the afternoon (which’s is helpful when it’s 115F outside) BUT it created a cleaning nightmare. Our first pool season we had a plumbing line plug occur because I did not use a leaf canister on the suction cleaner and all the needles and tiny leave got stuck. Well, after a year, thevtree was starting to damage my neighbors wall and he cut it down. The shade was gone but my pool was A LOT easier to keep clean and so it was very much worth it in my opinion.

Sadly, deciduous trees and pools don’t mix....

It's a catch 22, isn't it? I do love trees, but they certainly make it a pain. We have a pretty lush landscape and that has me emptying the skimmer a couple times a day (the hair net does help a lot, though!) but even if we cut everything out...there are trees all over here and the good 'ole Oklahoma wind would make sure there is always something heading straight to the pool.

Reactions: splashpad
Trees are removed. Tons of saw dust in pool, even with leaf cover on, which left tan stains everywhere. Hopefully time and chlorine will remove the stains.

Attachments

• 43BF0C8E-6A58-4B6F-B4E2-ED800F873985.jpeg
    43BF0C8E-6A58-4B6F-B4E2-ED800F873985.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 706642E6-4FE1-4E06-80C2-72DD7F57311C.jpeg
    706642E6-4FE1-4E06-80C2-72DD7F57311C.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 30
We went through the same thing except with about 20 large pine trees, dirty yard, dirty roof and pool plus who knows about roots.
Cant tell by the pic's , but after you go through that cutting down to make your life easier, when your neighbors leaves and pine needles end up in your pool after high winds, its upsetting even more so.

Reactions: splashpad
You can wait it out if you want but if you want them out faster then push your FC up to SLAM level for your CYA and brush the mess out of it after the FC gets mixed in good and has a little while (30 mins or so) to work on them. It is up to you-Time or chlorine and brush work.

WE too had to take down a number of trees for our build. It was a cluster in October to battle leaves. Were you having problems year round? I may have naively assumed that spring and summer wont be bad? Are your trees seriously (were) blooming for spring already?? Dang, we keep getting snow in Ohio. The honey suckle is just starting to get leaf sprouts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Blooms were extremely bad. Falling in pool and staining decking.

Leaves start falling here in October.

Battling for Oct-Mar/Apr and only having Apr-Sept to relax didn’t seem fun.

We had to cut down about 12 pine and sweet gum trees just where the pool was going, not to mention all the trees surrounding our yard. That cost alone really jacks up the price of a pool, doesn't it?
Yet we *still* have more stupid gum ball trees around to torture our bare feet in the yard.... Grrrrrrr! Pics in siggy line.

Maddie :flower:

We have 6 huge sugar maples on our property, one of which is right near the pool. We are going to have to take it down next year. We have already lost one to verticillium wilt and this one is showing symptoms now :( . I'll clean the leaves, I just don't want to lose my beautiful maples!

We did add some new privacy shrubs along our fence. So I am sure I will still have leaf issue, although these are not supposed to lose leaves and the leaves are heavier so they fall straight down.

We can almost never escape organic debris from blowing into our pools. Especially this time of year with Oaks and Crape Myrtles blooming, stuff is everywhere. I try to keep good cirulation, watch/empty my skimmer sock, and hope the wind doesn't change direction to blow junk "away" from my skimmer. :hammer:

My pool bottom looked like a hurricane hit it yesterday. We had a massive storm roll in.

Skimmer was full of oak catkins.

My Polaris 9650 was able to handle it with ease.

Looks like your neighbor will benefit too. It is sad to have to remove trees but I totally sympathize. We realized having grass in the pool area was a mistake. Trying to figure out now what to do about that. We had to build up the grade for the pool so the grass is needed for ground stability. We need something to go in its place. I was looking at perhaps some ground-cover juniper type stuff. Also have 3 plums that provide great privacy but shed like crazy beginning and end of season. My neighbor built his pool landscaping VERY smart. 100% evergreens and NO grass. He gets almost nothing blowing in his pool.

I too can relate. I had to cut down a former live Christmas tree to build our pool. We used it a second time as a Christmas tree (the top 1/4) after cutting.

@PoolGate - I used Liriope muscari 'Big Blue' next to our pool deck on one side. There is probably 200-300 SF. I just did the annual mowing of it last weekend. It takes occasional dog traffic (and some rolling around) well. For junipers I prefer Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star' to Juniperus horizontalis (or it's cultivars) based on appearance (personal). Blue Star is not the fastest to cover ground but can cover 10+ SF in time and may get 1' tall or a little more.

I also have/had evergeens next to our pool. Leyland cypress to be exact. I quite enjoyed them and would still have them were it not for the pool but when the inside dies out as normal, that eventually blows out in windstorms. One time it COMPLETELY covered the pool surface in 2 minutes with dead debris (50+ MPH thunderstorm gust from the wrong direction). Thankfully it all floated and I was home. As of today, the 9 next to the pool are gone - lots of free exercise. They were 45' tall / 30' wide and were quite a job. I am replacing them this weekend with Columnar Blue Spruce. Super excited to have this new tree variety on our property.

2019-03-28 07.53.51 Resized.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.