sacrificial anode

beej210

Dec 24, 2020
Dallas, TX
I've seen some discussion on here, but not sure if I need one. I'm installing a SWG and need to figure out if I need a Zinc anode. From what I can tell, it would have to be in-line. But every discussion that I see relates back to the heater. I don't have a heater on my pool. The only metal in my pool is the LED pool light. No steps, stair rails, etc. Whisper-flow pump and DE filter.

So do I need an anode or not?

Thanks!

I don't see why you need a sacrificial anode. You have nothing it needs to sacrifice to save.

Hey Beej !! The water in the pool (which will have salt in it no matter what) will harm any materials that aren't of good quality. The 'salt pool' is only 2 or 3 times the salt content of a traditional chlorine pool, and only 10% that of seawater.

The annode is nothing but a weight while lightening your wallet.

I don't have a heater either, and no other metal in my pool.. but three LED lamps.. two out of three started to rust on their chrome (stainless steel) rings, and I was always wondering why..

After spending a while checking many anode posts here, I guess it wouldn't make any sense for me to install one, since those chrome rings are not bonded to anything?

so only solution to replace them from time to time? last time I've checked they sold only the whole lamp.. for $300 each lol

If your pool is properly bonded then the light ring is in contact with the water that is bonded to your bonding grid.

Reactions: masupilami
If your pool is properly bonded then the light ring is in contact with the water that is bonded to your bonding grid.
stupid question.. if my pump is bonded (what it is).. and there is no other metal in contact with the water (except the chrome rings of my lamp, screwed into plastic fittings).. is my water bonded?

like does the water inside the pump "touches" the bonding of the pump and therefor bonds the water in the pump? I'm currently upgrading to an IntelloFlo with magnet thing whatever, and I think there wont be a contact between the bonding and the waterflow, right?

If I got that right the anode would "touch" the water and bond it? so would installing an anode help?

USA bonding requirements according to the NEC requires 9 square inches of metal be in contact with the water and be connected to the bonding grid.

Water in the pump is never in contact with the motor that is bonded.

Pool_Bonding.jpg

we don't have that here in Thailand.. so I guess if no metal bonds my pool an anode (as the only one connecting the water to the ground) would have zero effect?

we don't have that here in Thailand.. so I guess if no metal bonds my pool an anode (as the only one connecting the water to the ground) would have zero effect?
An anode has close to zero effect on modern pools even with good bonding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.