Rx Clear Luster Filter Media Balls

May 27, 2017
Manitoba
Has anyone ever heard of and/or used these? I found them through my online pool equipment go to. Wondering how well they work as a sand replacement. The description sounds promising...

'Stop using sand in your filter! Easier to use, cleaner to change, better filtration!
Replace the sand in your new or existing sand filter with Rx Clear Luster Filter Media and experience the difference! Reusable, eco-friendly and made from 100% polyethylene, these tiny balls will last for years while filtering particles down to 10 microns. 1 Bag of Luster filter balls is equivalent to 50 pounds of normal filter sand!
Features:
Alternative to Sand
High Dirt Capacity
Lowest Pressure Increase
No Clogging
Lowest Backwash Frequency
Long Product Life, and Washer and Dryer Friendly!
Easy to Dispose of and Non Toxic
Light Weight for Easy Handling (one box weighs less then 2 pounds!)
Filters particles down to 10 microns
Instructions for use:
1. Power down the pump, and open your filter tank
2. Empty any existing media and/or sand from the tank and clean the tank thoroughly
3. Fill the filter with RxClear Luster; 1 Bag of Luster equals 50 lbs of sand
4. Close your filter tank
5. Back wash for 30 seconds
6. Power on your pump and begin filtering again
Reviews'

I am trying to figure out how anything is more eco-friendly than sand. It never wears out, and when you are done with it it just goes back to being ---- sand. I doubt the 'polyethylene' returns to the natural gas it was created from when you are done with them!!

I think I would stick with sand.

Good Luck!

Of course the description sounds promising, it's sole existence is to sell you on the product being superior to sand. Bottom line is that sand filters work just fine if you keep your chemistry correct. I even "downgraded" from a cartridge filter to a sand filter (filled with sand) because I keep my chemistry in check well enough that I don't need the extra water polishing or hassle of a cartridge filter. Water still looks crystal clear.

Seems like a percentage of dirty water will make it through those larger gaps and back into circulation. Is that why they mention "Lowest Pressure Increase"?

A marketing piece I read says these will last a few seasons. So they have to be replaced every few years?

Replace sand with our NEW RX Clear™ Luster Filter Media in your pools sand filter. Reusable, eco-friendly and made from 100% polyethylene, these tiny balls will last several pool seasons while filtering particles down to 10 microns. 1 box of luster equals 50 lbs of sand.

94547fa43005dabc4729e4aee9568cab.jpg

Some very valid points [emoji4] Decision made. Lol. I read and watched the deep cleaning a sand filter Tutorial this morning....I think I'll go that route instead.

I asked for opinions as we were going to replace the sand and the site that we get our supplies from ONLY carries this media now...they've totally done away with sand altogether. But I know know that replacing it is not necessary [emoji6]

Don't ya just love this forum? It has the ability to save you from yourself...and snake oil salesmen. [emoji106]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.