rusty rails

Aug 11, 2017
lexington
after opening my pool this past weekend i did see alot of rust were the rail meet the post, i did call intex and they said they would warranty ( but it wasn't under warranty ) if i sent back 9 and they would send me the total 18 ,mu question is how do i do this now that the pool is up and running ? here are pics, i bought in late june of 2017, so less than 2 years , its a salt water setup i bought as a kit too
thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 35
question is how far do you need to drain the water down to change the top rails ?

after opening my pool this past weekend i did see alot of rust were the rail meet the post, i did call intex and they said they would warranty ( but it wasn't under warranty ) if i sent back 9 and they would send me the total 18 ,mu question is how do i do this now that the pool is up and running ? here are pics, i bought in late june of 2017, so less than 2 years , its a salt water setup i bought as a kit too
thanks

Wait... What?

Intex provided an out of warranty replacement? How far outside of the standard 90 days were you (if you don't mind me asking). I had a horrible experience with Intex last year and I'm surprised but hopeful that they've made some much needed changes in their policy.

I'm happy that you were able to get some help from them!

To help with your question, we just dealt with the exact same issue last month. Our pool rails looked almost as bad as yours. We actually had to use tin snips to cut some of the rails as trying to remove them as-is was sending shards of sharp rusty metal all over (inside and out) of our pool). I think we emptied down to about 1' of water.

In our case, we had purchased an entire new pool (on clearance) as it was only slightly more than paying for the replacement supports we needed so we actually ended taking everything down and putting up the rest of the new parts (including liner) as we were worried that all the rusted metal in the pool might result in holes.

BTW, here's a helpful tip we found on this forum to get the horizontal beans "unstuck" from the vinyl sleeves:

Using a long thin dowel, tape one end of some cord/rope to it and send it through a sleeve. Then remove the dowel and while holding each end of the rope (easier with two people) work it around the sleeve to release the adhesion. (Thx TFP forums!).

Do what you can to keep all the shards out of the pool! Maybe a shop-vac might help?

Last edited:
i did use a shop vac at first to get all loose stuff, getting back to warranty there is a 2 year warranty on these things( i am within that ) but she said there was no warranty but the manger would honor it if i would send 9 rails in and they would send me the total 18 back , i can see this talking a long time, dont know if i will do it now because its filled and warm ready to use , thinking of getting some of this Amazon.com: Loctite 8-Ounce Extend Rust Neutralizer, 1381192: Home Improvement and useing some paint ,, i dont know what to do

thanks

I'd take Intex up on their offer. Better to be without a pool for a month in order to get new posts than use a compromised pool or spend the money to get a new pool.

Unless you think your liner is compromised. Then take it down, get a new pool of the same type, and send the rusted posts to Intex. Et voila! You have free spare posts!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i am looking into a new pool , there is so many to choose from Ruel king has one ( 18x52 ) same size as what i have for 499 , same one my neighbor has is still looks new after 2 summers, i could get that and use my old filter system and change over to chlorine ? if i can use my old system being its salt

I have this same issue with our Intex pool. Waiting to hear back from a manager. 36-48 hour response. I'll post the update here.

Attachments

• 20190616_235916785_iOS.jpg
    20190616_235916785_iOS.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190618_211016652_iOS.jpg
    20190618_211016652_iOS.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 24
  • 20190618_211030683_iOS.jpg
    20190618_211030683_iOS.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 21
The current XTR ultraframe has a 2 yr warranty ; the older ultraframe had a 90 day warranty. I want to hope the longer warranty might mean they really believe the pool to be better quality but who knows... I thought it was too new to really get a feel for longevity yet.

We had a 2014 ultraframe and the rust was exclusively on the top rails - legs and t joints were fine. I feel like we must have lucked out to buy when we did.

Matt H how old/new is your pool? Is that an XTR?

Same issue here! The pool hasn't even been up for a year, and the top rails and side posts are badly rusted, to the point that the connections are useless. Right now, I'm trying to decide what kind of pool will be the replacement. I'm incredibly disappointed with the quality!

I have this same issue with our Intex pool. Waiting to hear back from a manager. 36-48 hour response. I'll post the update here.

Are you still swimming in the pool with the rusted rails? We are late setting up this summer and after filling one of our rusted rails busted to the t-connector and another nearly the same. We have a disappointed family here and unsure if we are safe swimming with the rails as they are

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.