Rusty AGP breakdown guidance

Mar 18, 2012
Our AGP sadly needs to come down. We changed to a saltwater system years ago and now everything is rusted to the point that we can’t remove the rails to change the liner. Due to a winter leak, more than half the water is gone, and our yard is so muddy we can’t walk in it – and we have 3 large dogs. I’m concerned it will cave in before long. Any guidance on how to do a very rusty teardown safely, links (Google is getting me nowhere), and ideas for the perfectly level 15X30 oval (other than doggie sandbox) would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since the pool is shot, you might consider using, buying, or renting a sump pump with a long hose to expedite removing the remaining water. That should minimize continuous flooding in the yard. Once the water is gone, a good hammer, reciprocating saw, and/or some leather gloves and long pants to keep from getting poked by a sliver of rusted metal. Be sure to have a place segregated to stack the jagged metal away from kids and pets until you make arrangements for disposal.

Once you get past that mess, let things dry and consider if a new pool is in the cards to begin prepping the area once dry.

full

You'll need to have several spare sawZall blades. Went thru a bunch when we took ours down. Thicker blades are better. Just cut it up into manageable pieces so they'll fit into a truck bed. There are going to be pieces below the sand bed. We had a paver patio installed and have a hot tub on order, June delivery.

We had two trips to the scrap yard, one aluminum & one steel. Here's the steel load.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since the pool is shot, you might consider using, buying, or renting a sump pump with a long hose to expedite removing the remaining water. That should minimize continuous flooding in the yard. Once the water is gone, a good hammer, reciprocating saw, and/or some leather gloves and long pants to keep from getting poked by a sliver of rusted metal. Be sure to have a place segregated to stack the jagged metal away from kids and pets until you make arrangements for disposal.

Once you get past that mess, let things dry and consider if a new pool is in the cards to begin prepping the area once dry.

full
Thank you so much! The water's getting very low and in a week or so we expect wind, so it's time to pull out all the shortcuts and get this done.

Thicker blades are better.
+ 1. Milwaukee's line of thicker blades are called AX. And they ain't kidding. You'll throw away most blades when the teeth are shot, not because they broke. And with wider teeth they take longer to wear also. Most brands have some sort of tough line. 5X thicker, etc.

Also. I took down a 'Chlorine pool' and the bolts were just as rusted and seized, hence the Sawzall. It wasn't the salt. It was the moisture of being outdoors.

Last edited:
You'll need to have several spare sawZall blades. Went thru a bunch when we took ours down. Thicker blades are better. Just cut it up into manageable pieces so they'll fit into a truck bed. There are going to be pieces below the sand bed. We had a paver patio installed and have a hot tub on order, June delivery.

We had two trips to the scrap yard, one aluminum & one steel. Here's the steel load.

Thanks for tip on the SawZall blades. You did a beautiful job, I would love to do something like that.

The walls and bottom rail were partially buried for 17 years and came out like they went in because they were robust, unlike the bolts. 20210501_102841_IMG_7229.jpg

+ 1. Milwaukee's line of thicker blades are called AX. And they ain't kinning. You'll throw away most blades when the teeth are shot, not because they broke. And with wider teeth they take longer to wear also. Most brands have some sort of tough line. 5X thicker, etc.

Also. I took down a 'Chlorine pool' and the bolts were just as rusted and seized, hence the Sawzall. It wasn't the salt. It was the moisture of being outdoors.
Good point. I've been thinking if we do saltwater again, I'll hose off every exposed piece of metal every night of the summer... that might be a useless waste of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've long wondered if we could have done better ditching every bolt that came with the pool kit and replacing with better hardware
Well, yes and no. Did you ever need to take the top rail apart before now when you can do it with a Sawzall? Mine had a stupid amount of bolts and I would have been there for days with the ratchet. The Sawzall had the 15×30 apart in an afternoon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.