Rusting pool ladder — bonding issue? How to check?

ScubaDoo

Jul 3, 2019
Great White North
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
Hey everyone,

We had an issue with a new pool ladder rusting up very quickly (month) to the point where it was about the same as the original (15 year old) one it replaced. Brought it back as the pool store guaranteed it would be good for salt water application. Had manufacturer replace the ladder but it was year end and we never put it in. I was thinking it’s low quality stainless steel, but they had said it’s likely the pools bonding being faulty.

Anyone know how I can check that before I install the new ladder this year?

Thx!

Use an ohmmeter and test between the ladder mounting sockets and the pool bonding wire.

It should be exposed at your equipment pad and connected to the outside bonding lug of your pump.

Yeah, I know the large gauge braided copper line.

So would the correct test method be to have a very long wire attached/clipped to the braided copper line and run that all the way to the ladder area where I can connect that wire to a lead on the meter and the lead to the ladder mounting socket? If there are any readings above 0 ohm it’s not bonded?

Bonding wire should be #8 SOLID copper wire, not braided.

Show us pics of that braided wire.

Not home currently, It’s not a solid wire. It’s a large gauge (prob 6 gauge) solid/braided copper wire. Likely 7 wires strands twisted together.I can get pics later.

NEC requires bonding wire to be #8 solid copper wire.

So that questions the entire bonding of your pool.

Don’t think the NEC guidelines apply in Canada, would need to see what CEC code is… the pool is 20 years old, and install by a very reputable installer so would think they followed all guidelines.

Nothing in your profile or signature tells us you are in Canada.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok… so you’re not sure how to test for correct bonding? Should I be asking in a different section?

Also, I just checked and the bonding wire meeting CEC spec:
Rule 68-058 establishes requirements for an equipotential bonding plane for the metal parts of a pool and associated metal parts of non-electrical equipment and non-current carrying metal parts of electrical equipment with a copper bonding conductor that is

• a minimum No.6 AWG for permanently installed pools

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.