SW PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Well, I knew when I closed I'd be pulling the skimmer to check the integrity of my wall around the skimmer cut out. I'm happy to see that the pool wall is still solid and a pool replacement will not be needed. On the other hand, the pool does need work which I will be doing in the spring. I need to treat this rust, buy a new liner, rework the floor (its bumpy from not being able to do it right the first time) buy foam boards for the bottom and install the foam I initially bought for the walls. Debating on whether to install the bead track I bought with the pool 6 years ago too. I've got all winter n spring to get my plan together. We took our last swim yesterday too.

Pics of the pool...

Attachments

• 20190905_193124.jpg
    20190905_193124.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20190905_193132.jpg
    20190905_193132.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190905_193135.jpg
    20190905_193135.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 154
  • 20190905_193140.jpg
    20190905_193140.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20190905_193231.jpg
    20190905_193231.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 155
Hey miss. I helped my neighbor replace her ABG liner twice since we moved in. Both times we got Vermiculite at Lowes in big bags. They were selling it in the garden section for planting but its the same stuff so it didnt matter. It was light, fluffy and very easy to spread around and mold with some spray from the garden hose. Just something to ponder over the winter if you choose not to use the foam boards

Reactions: Casey
I'll certainly be thinking of all my options.

The first time we did the under the rail liner and the second was the over the rail liner. The over rail one came out much better but it could have been due to us doing the job better the second time around. Or we just got lucky.

There is a great product called ospho. It's not something found in hardware stores though.
It turns rust back into iron. All you would need to do is use a brush or sand paper to knock the scale
of the rust off, then two coats of ospho should fix it up nice and stop the deterioration.
You could paint over it afterward to protect the liner from interacting with the ospho.
Not sure it would harm it but better safe.

I've used it for decades working on old automotive restorations.

Reactions: mariane and Casey
Casey spends like you have a plan. How old is the pool? Did the rust happen ove one season?
Pool is 6 years old. It happened over last 2 years which have been rough on us, not including the pool. Just life getting in the way that put the pool on the back burner n I was ignoring a very slow leak.

There is a great product called ospho. It's not something found in hardware stores though.
It turns rust back into iron. All you would need to do is use a brush or sand paper to knock the scale
of the rust off, then two coats of ospho should fix it up nice and stop the deterioration.
You could paint over it afterward to protect the liner from interacting with the ospho.
Not sure it would harm it but better safe.

I've used it for decades working on old automotive restorations.
Can I order this online?

Pool is 6 years old. It happened over last 2 years which have been rough on us, not including the pool. Just life getting in the way that put the pool on the back burner n I was ignoring a very slow leak.
Sorry to hear that. Sometimes things happens. We had to recover once from a completely green pool, which happened because life got in the way. We found out the hard way that it doesn't take long to go from pristine clear and blue to cloudy sludge and green.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. When I get a minute, I'll look into it.

Well, I knew when I closed I'd be pulling the skimmer to check the integrity of my wall around the skimmer cut out. I'm happy to see that the pool wall is still solid and a pool replacement will not be needed. On the other hand, the pool does need work which I will be doing in the spring. I need to treat this rust, buy a new liner, . . . .
Something else to get would be a butterfly gasket for the skimmer opening. The exposed portion of our skimmer opening in the wall corroded after many years of expose to the water. With the butterfly gasket, it keeps the water away from the metal. Doughboy told us to install it with the gasket as the "bread" and the liner and wall as the "lunch meat and cheese" in the sandwich. (He didn't use those exact words but it gets the idea across ;o). :)

I had a butterfly gasket. I had a dumb moment when I installed the pool and cut the liner without the box on and when I did, it sagged. I patched it and over last 2 years, the patch deteriorated and caused my current issues. I was having a bad time with life n holding on by the skin of my teeth. The pool wasn't important at that time. So here I am. Things are better n it's now time to get my plan together and fix it.

I so understand Casey. When we took our pool apart to repair the horrible corrosion and replace the liner, different things kept causing a problem and breaking or not working. It gets very stressful doing a pool rehab. It never goes as planned. Good that you'll have the winter to think thru all the things needed. I'm with ya. :thumleft:

Well... it's nearly spring and just a few short weeks from opening the pool. Glad to say we had a mild winter here in SWPA. At least I think so.

I'm pricing insulation board. Was at Lowes today and saw this. Is this what people are using?

The baby has decided that she wants a dark blue liner. I prefer lighter blues but she's going to win the debate so I need to find somewhere online to look at 24'x54" liners. Having a hard time finding 54" liners.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1583620141065.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583620141065.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FB_IMG_1583620145436.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583620145436.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 19
  • FB_IMG_1583620149072.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583620149072.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1583620152921.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583620152921.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1583620157255.jpg
    FB_IMG_1583620157255.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 18
I just picked up the insulation board yesterday. I went with the 1/2 inch instead of 3/4 inch. Also got extra wide gorilla tape. Hubby asked us if we really need to be dumping money into the pool right now. I told him to ask her!

Attachments

• 20200307_081751.jpg
    20200307_081751.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Love
Reactions: mariane
Can I just say that I'm very disappointed with the liner selection or lack there of online. I cant find anything that looks good. The baby wants a dark blue one n so does Hubby. I'm wondering if the local pool store would be open yet n if COVID19 would impact them. My BABY needs HER pool! This is an EMERGENCY and ESSENTIAL! lol

I pray we get through this quickly! Ugh....

I am happy to report that my order from poolsupplyworld has shipped. The only thing I need now is the Ospho for the rust and a new liner. There has been major talk of a darker liner but i just spoke to the lil one and she has agreed to purchase the Portifino liner again so we can get the pool opened. All of our pool shops are closed and since the order from pool supply world shipped, I'm going to buy the liner today so we can be ready.

This is her idea of social distancing...

Attachments

• 20200324_053608.jpg
    20200324_053608.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 42

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.