Rust!! ?

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Working on opening the pool this weekend... decided to dig out the rocks on the outside of the pool below the skimmer to check out what looked like some mild corrosion on the exterior pool wall. What I found has me in a near panic! (photos attached) What to do? Is this beyond DIY capabilities? Can I get by with cleaning it, somehow attaching some metal flashing and painting it with Rustoleum? The pool was installed 6 years ago.

Attachments

• pool rust1.jpg
    pool rust1.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 93
  • pool rust2.jpg
    pool rust2.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 91
  • pool rust closeup.jpg
    pool rust closeup.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 82
So sorry to hear you had this happen. I wouldn’t have the first clue on how to deal with this. I would be on the phone with the vendor/manufacturer right away. The Sharkline Matrix pools are their top of the line deal. No way that should have happened in 6 years.

That being said, I have a partially buried 24’ Matrix. :oops: I don’t even wanna know.

@InyoMatt @InyoRob : Any suggestions?

So sorry @afreil!!
Is it the whole bottom between the upright supports?
It is just a section between two upright supports - below the skimmer. There is also rust directly under the skimmer (photo attached). Apparently it's been leaking from there, undetected.

Attachments

• pool rust - under skimmer.jpg
    pool rust - under skimmer.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
OH POOP!! so lets take a step back and gather our wits.............is it all the way through (kind of scared to ask that one)? What kind of warranty does that pool have?

I have a couple of ideas along what you are thinking but lets explore the warranty aspect first.

OH POOP!! so lets take a step back and gather our wits.............is it all the way through (kind of scared to ask that one)? What kind of warranty does that pool have?

I have a couple of ideas along what you are thinking but lets explore the warranty aspect first.
I don't know if it's all the way through... not sure how to even check. We still haven't even removed the winter cover, as we were just preparing to open the pool this weekend. At the end of last season there didn't appear to be any problem with the liner - no leaks.
I have my original invoice/proof of purchase, but can find no warranty information. After six years, I'm pretty sure the warranty has expired. I have emailed the manufacturer (Wilbar) and the company where I purchased the pool (Pool Supply World) hoping for advice, information or help.

Last edited:
I heard back from the manufacturer (Wilbar) and it is not covered under warranty (Corrosion around and beneath the skimmer which includes the square skimmer opening and the round opening are specifically not warrantied.). No real surprise there. I was hoping they would give me suggestions on repair, but they were obviously more concerned about making sure I knew they were not responsible.

Today I purchased a bunch of stuff at Home Depot. Anybody ever used Fiberglass Resin to repair metal? Tomorrow I will try to formulate a plan. If anyone has ideas I would love to hear about it!

Attachments

• products for pool wall repair.jpg
    products for pool wall repair.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: splashpad
Husband said you can use the fiberglass on the metal. He says to make sure to wear gloves as that stuff is messing!! You will also want some cheap brushed to help brush the goop on once you get the cloth on the wall.

Of course good prep of the area is important but take care to not go through the wall.

Good luck!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Updating my attempts at solving this rust problem...
I gently scratched off the flaky pieces with a wire brush and steel wool. I then used a rust neutralizer to clean as much of the corrosion from the surface as I could.
I used the Bondo Fiberglass Resin with fiberglass cloth as instructed. At first I was concerned that the resin wasn't going to harden due to the condensation on the outside of the pool - but after 24 hours it appears have dried hard.
So, as you see from the attached photos compared to my photos in the original post, the damaged area looks much better. We are going to open the pool and hope for the best

Attachments

• IMG_5525.JPG
    IMG_5525.JPG
    648.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5526.JPG
    IMG_5526.JPG
    504.4 KB · Views: 52
Yikes.

Does any know if these pools are galvanized or are most of them just painted?

I'm getting ready to install a Melenia which I think is similar to the Matrix. It's definitely a Wilbar product.

Is pool water really that corrosive?

We had rust around the skimmer and return openings and upon removal of the liner found part of the wall was corroded away. We had to sand, prime, paint the openings and then cut sheet metal to fit over the wall areas that were compromised and bolted them to the wall. Covered all bolts and edges of metal with multiple layers of duct tape. Used gaskets around the openings when reinstalling the skimmer and return pieces. Worked well for the rest of last summer and survived the winter. Still looks good this spring as I work to get the pool ready to open soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.