Rust stains on vinyl liner

Jazzymama

Jun 27, 2019
CT
Hi there!
Over the winter since we are having trouble keeping our pool cover on the pool and the plastic clips for the winter cover kept flying off I used binder clips to keep a cover attached to the pool. Yes I did notice that there was some resting on the pool cover but what I also did not notice was that in advertently a few of the clips somehow got to the pool when we were taking the pool cover off due to a large amount of water still being on top of our pool cover.....really long story and nightmare opening the pool this year. Anyway now I have 3 small rust spots on the liner. I read online about putting some chopped up vitamin C tablets in a sock and rubbing it over the liner which we did and was quite hard to do since it is literally on the bottom of the pool floor. Looking for a quicker way as it wasn’t really working I called the pool company that we bought the pool from and they said horrifically to not do that as we will be damaging the pool liner as the asorbic acid from the vitamin C will bleach and eat away at the liner. So now I’m wondering what damage if any did I do and is there any way to get these stains off? The pool company owner told me to use metal magnet and pour it in the pool and we can swim right away?

There's been a lot of advice here to use asorbic acid to remove iron / rust staining. I haven't seen any cautions about rubbing it over the liner.

Reactions: pooldv
Yes, definitely fine. Sending your kid in to clean up the pool with a sock full of ascorbic acid isnt a problem either. I'm not sure if TFP officially endorses making your kids do all sorts of pool chores but I think we do. :)

Yes, definitely fine. Sending your kid in to clean up the pool with a sock full of ascorbic acid isnt a problem either. I'm not sure if TFP officially endorses making your kids do all sorts of pool chores but I think we do. :)
I use to pay my son $20 to get in the pool in Oct to get my steps out. I doubt he'd do it as an adult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.