Rust on walls - cause for concern?

Jul 25, 2011
Bedford, NH
I've had an AGP since I was a kid, and have had them in a couple homes as an adult, and never heard of one blowing out and failing until last summer, when a local family had their AGP fail and blow out. I started googling to see how it happened and learned that rust, often caused by leaks, is often the catalyst.

The house we're in now has a 15x35-ish Doughboy. I'm not 100% sure when it was installed, but the liner has a few patches and I'm considering replacing it next year so I can get a good look at the walls.

My question - attached are a couple pictures under the return jet where rust is forming, and it's prevalent at the bottom as well. Should I be concerned? As far as prevention goes, has anyone just replaced the wall? Or am I looking at a new pool entirely?

Thanks TFP!

Attachments

• 20200525_090055.jpg
    20200525_090055.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200525_090121.jpg
    20200525_090121.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 27
The rust is always a lot worse once you remove the liner. You don’t know how bad until you look.

@Casey

Reactions: Casey
Keep an eye on those rust spots. That is what mine looked like at the beginning of the end. It was about a 5 year period between when the rust started and my pool failed. You can read my story in the link in my signature.
If those are the worst of the rust I don't think you are in danger of an immediate blow out, however I would get on top of making repairs as soon as pool season is over. Also address your drainage around the pool so that water doesn't collect at the base. You may need to pull the walls out to address the rust at the bottom. If there is too much damage at the bottom you may need to replace the wall, but you won't know until you get in there and look at it.

Reactions: Casey
Rust is like cancer. May look fine on the outside but its spread on the inside like no one's business.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.